Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS tester

Posted by regpye 
RAMPS tester
November 29, 2014 06:28PM
Has anyone made a RAMPS tester so that when buying a batch of boards they can be tested quickly to find out if everything is working OK?

I am asking because I bought a batch of 10 boards and while setting up a few machines, found that some didn't work correctly. Some had shorts between the limit pins, another had a shorted out mosfet for the heater, another would work on the extruder motors (either of them)
When I found out about the first three being crook, I reported to the manufacturer and they replaced those three pretty quickly, but two of those three where bad also. I decided not to buy from them again because cheap worked out to be very expensive.
I wont mention any names, but wonder if anyone has developed a quick method of checking a board so that I don't go to all the trouble of a full build only to find I have to take it apart again and replace with another board.

Some photos of the boards in mention to show the short problem possibilities.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Re: RAMPS tester
November 29, 2014 07:49PM
There's a test rig in this video from nwreprap.com - perhaps you could throw something like that together?

[www.youtube.com]
Re: RAMPS tester
November 29, 2014 08:05PM
loidor
There's a test rig in this video from nwreprap.com - perhaps you could throw something like that together?

[www.youtube.com]

Good idea,the expense is worth it and not really an expense because everything can still be used later on for a build. It is more like a loan ha..ha..
I will make a rig like that and can also add a volt meter to adjust the stepper drivers while testing as well. The volt meter can have the negative side connected permanently to ground and the positive probe can be made into a small screw driver to adjust the driver pots, check while adjusting.

Once a rig like that is in place,it shouldn't be to hard to test several boards in a short time and also set them up at the same time.

Thanks for the video link, very useful.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login