Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delta Printer - Calibration of X-Y

Posted by Stephanel 
Delta Printer - Calibration of X-Y
January 31, 2015 03:34PM
Hey!

I have built a Delta Printer using the RAMPS 1.4 and Marlin firmware and parts I bought everywhere :-) Now I am busy with the calibration of the printer. I have managed to setup the printer to already print, but the X-Y calibration proved to be quite difficult. I see that the extruder nozzle goes up towards the edges of the print bed. The bed itself is perfectly flat.

I understand that this is normal behaviour. Am I correct to understand that this can be fixed by modifying the

#define DEFAULT_DELTA_RADIUS (DELTA_SMOOTH_ROD_OFFSET-DELTA_EFFECTOR_OFFSET-DELTA_CARRIAGE_OFFSET)

parameter?

As this consists of 3 parameters, I was wondering how to best start with changing this. Is this just trial and error, or can I use some kind of methodology? Will this make the nozzle move more in a flat plane?

Thanks in advance!
Steph
Re: Delta Printer - Calibration of X-Y
January 31, 2015 05:24PM
It doesn't matter which of the 3 you adjust, because they are not used anywhere else.All that matters is the value of the delta radius. So you can pick any one of them. As a rule of thumb, start by adjusting it by twice the amount of the apparent height difference between the centre of the bed and the edges.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 01, 2015 09:37AM
Fantastic! Thanks! The printer now is printing and it is really fast yawning smiley Maybe even a bit too fast, as the print quality is significantly lower than my previous printer (which printed about 8x slower).

Now I have to further calibrate the printer. Printing a cube results in more like a tower of Pisa :-)
February 01, 2015 11:51AM
If your cube is leaning, then most likely you don't have the endstops evenly adjusted. You need to get the nozzle heights even when the nozzle is in front of each tower. You can do this either by adjusting the hardware or with the M665 command. I've written about delta calibration at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] and although it is written for Duet electronics, the general principles apply to any delta printer.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 03, 2015 12:59AM
Good that u solved it!

www.3dfilamenta.com - International Sales Platform for 3D Printing Products
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login