Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS like board for Arduino uno

Posted by nipunsadvilkar 
RAMPS like board for Arduino uno
March 07, 2015 10:13AM
I am making XY plotter and i am new to this field.i have questions for building RAMPS1.4 like board for arduino UNO.
which firmware to use for XY plotter with arduino Uno only as it has minimum Flash and all i need to do is drive two motors with A4988 stepstick stepper motor driver(Polulu) and make Pen assembly Up/Down.

I am refering arduino mega and RAMPS1.4 shield but i dont need that much port so want to reduce it for 2motors and one 12Vsolenoid(electromagnet)

*as per my study i can use Fan port of arduino Mega (D9) to control solenoid but i am confused about how can i make it happen with arduino Uno board.
Re: RAMPS like board for Arduino uno
March 07, 2015 11:54AM
If you search in eBay for "arduino uno cnc shield", you'll probably find what you are looking for, i.e. an uno shield for up to 4 stepsticks. But I fear it won't be any cheaper than the mega + ramps, which --even if you don't need all the ramps' features-- would leave you much more room for the firmware.
March 07, 2015 12:10PM
Thanks for your answer but what should i do about solenoid thing!
I want to make pen up/down.what firmware changes i need to make?
March 07, 2015 02:02PM
If you go with the mega/ramps you can switch the solenoid with one of the mosfets. With the UNO you need to do external switching, e.g. using a sevenswitch on any free output pin.

Maybe you could also use a servo instead of the solenoid?
March 08, 2015 11:51AM
but where should i connect that Solenoid or Servo on arduino?
and what changes should i make in firmware part?

i was thinking of solenoid because it would be easy to make it just On/OFF as in pen UP/DOWN rather than servo where i need to add library and coding would be difficult.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login