Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding LEDs for lighting, on the RAMPS 1.4

Posted by fractal5 
Adding LEDs for lighting, on the RAMPS 1.4
March 22, 2015 06:33PM
What would be a good approach to add some LED strips for lighting purposes (mounted onto the X carriage) using the RAMPS 1.4 and Marlin?

I need something I can turn on and off with gcodes.
Re: Adding LEDs for lighting, on the RAMPS 1.4
March 23, 2015 09:11AM
I use a custom fan controller connected to a series of LEDs I've hot glued to the bottom of my x-carriage. M42 is the g-code to turn the selected pin on and off, or optionally if you're using a PWM port, to what value you want the pin to be at (0-255). You likely will get a flicker when the heated bed or extruder reach temperature as the high current loads rapidly turn on and off. You can either use a constant current driver or run a separate voltage regulator to smooth out the flicker.
March 24, 2015 09:06PM
The original idea was for a fan, but I don't see any reason you could not use it for a couple of leds. Just check your current ratings first.

[www.thingiverse.com]

Have fun, good luck
March 25, 2015 11:34AM
I was actually trying to add a led that gets on whenever the head bad is above X degrees.
March 25, 2015 12:08PM
Marlin has a setting to turn on a pin (normally to control a fan) when the hot end temperature reaches a configured temperature. You'd have to tweak it to look at the bed temp instead of hot end, but you could use that to turn on an pin to show a status LED.
March 25, 2015 01:22PM
Ok, I'll explore that, most likely it will requite some custom code.
Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login