Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ATX power supply

Posted by modelmaker 
ATX power supply
March 26, 2015 02:37AM
Hi.
I am trying to use a computer power supply for my 3D printer that I am building. I have bridged the grey wire and the red wire opposite to turn on power supply but am only getting 8 volts between the yellow and black wires should be 12 volts any reason?
Re: ATX power supply
March 26, 2015 07:18AM
Did you read the wiki entry for ATX power supplies?

http://www.reprap.org/wiki/ATX#Technical_Details

Sounds like a balanced load issue.....
March 26, 2015 09:38AM
I am copying a warning that I wrote in the Wiki in October of last year:

"There are two technical reasons to discourage the use of old PSUs:
First is the ageing of electrolytic capacitors. Specially the cheap electrolytic capacitors used in noname PSUs. They bulge, leak and eventually short. In the secondary circuit, they usually go out with a puff and some smoke, but the big bulk capacitors in the primary go out with a bang and a flame. In both cases they likely will kill the RepRap electronics, apart from possibly causing a more severe accident.
The second reason is the outdated design of the switching electronics in ATX PSUs older than 2~3 years. They are not only terribly inefficient compared to modern PSUs, they have less protections, have worse regulation, and have smaller/noisier fans. Of course if you have a high end Seasonic ATX PSUs from 3 years ago that you have only used for a couple of hours, all this does not apply!
imo, the savings achieved by reusing an old PSU are not worth the risks, the lower performance and the hassle. But again, that's my opinion. On the other hand, the technical reasons I just listed are facts, not opinion."
March 26, 2015 06:37PM
Thank s for the advice I will by a power supply.
March 27, 2015 10:31AM
if you add a load on the 5 v side the 12 v side will come up
you need a 5 v load, maybe a light buld. that is the only way to get the power supply to work better, as it relies on 5 v regulationm not 12 V
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login