Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 & Smart LCD Controller - Kill Button question

Posted by jdmech 
Ramps 1.4 & Smart LCD Controller - Kill Button question
April 08, 2015 03:32AM
Hi folks -
What exactly is the "Kill" button supposed to do anyway? On my Prusa I3 - running a Ramps 1.4 w/ Marlin v1, the button, when pressed,
it does kill the operation of the printer but it seems totally locked up and requires a hard restart to free it up to start again. It seems that I rarely
use this button and would prefer to use the ramps "reset" button instead which seems to do a nicer job of simply cycling the whole machine in one button press.
Is there a way to re-map the button on the panel to be the reset function instead? Or do I have Marlin config'd incorrectly? I wouldn't be surprised if it was me. lol

Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas - cheers - JD

Prusa I3 - Rework (home built)
w/ heated print bed. Borosilicate glass plate.
Ramps 1.4 board, Arduino 2650
Thermaltake 750watt power supply
Ulti-panel lcd controller
Marlin firmware
Cura - slicer/print software
Re: Ramps 1.4 & Smart LCD Controller - Kill Button question
April 09, 2015 01:31PM
That's what it dose, is just kill the print. As you found out you need to do a hard restart to free it up. Sometimes the ramps reset switch is not easy to get to so the "kill" button is one way to stop a print right now. Instead of the few cycles the software takes.
April 09, 2015 04:43PM
Ok thanks. At least that verifies that my setup is functioning as intended.
I still am thinking about somehow changing the front button function to 'reset'.
There must me some programming way to do it rather than having to extending wires from
the board up to the front controller.

Thanks - JD
April 10, 2015 06:21AM
Im afraid not.
The reset button is connected to the reset pin on the microcontroller.
Im sure you could write code that would cause the microcontroller to reset.
But the reason you want to reset the controller could also prevent that code running.

Thats why it has its own pin dedicated to reset.
So no matter what state the microcontroller has got itself into the microcontroller can still be reset.

Gordon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login