Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heating element stuck "on"

Posted by 2_jammer 
Heating element stuck "on"
November 27, 2015 12:11PM
I recently put together my first 3d printer from a kit. When power is applied to the control board, the extruder temperature immediately begins climbing without being commanded. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?
Re: Heating element stuck "on"
November 27, 2015 02:15PM
Is your firmware (Marlin?) installed on the Mega and is it responding to commands from PC or LCD controller? Did you configure and upload the firmware yourself?

Is the problem just with the hotend? Can you control all the other components (axes, heatbed) normally?

What is the resistance between "-" D10 and GND? (measure when not connected to power!) If it is ~0 you might have a short of a bad MOSFET.
November 27, 2015 07:15PM
Thank you for your reply. Honestly, I don't know what firmware is installed, or how I could even find out what it is. All the other components of the printer seem to be acting regularly, so the problem seems to be just with the hot end. I will check the resistance when I get a chance.
November 28, 2015 05:52AM
Visual inspection of your hardware is mandatory.
Check for solder bridges and cold solder joints.
Check for missing or misaligned components, the "chicken food" sometimes gets blown away during the solder process.

-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login