Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

4 Z Axis Stepper Motors

Posted by goldengreekpsy 
4 Z Axis Stepper Motors
November 28, 2015 04:33PM
I am designing a new reprap laser cutter and needed some advice on wiring. Due to the design, I need 4 stepper motors controlling the Z axis (it's a big cutter). I also need to use 2 stepper motors on the Y axis. Also, ideally I'd like to keep at least one of the extruder outputs in case I want to mount an extruder on it at some point. Can I just wire two motors in parallel for each output and crank up the potentiometers? Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2015 04:34PM by goldengreekpsy.
Re: 4 Z Axis Stepper Motors
November 29, 2015 12:36AM
The Prusa i3 runs 2 motors in parallel so I don't see why 4 could be a problem. You will have to use drv8825 drivers with plenty of cooling for 4 steppers and make sure you get motor that don't draw to many amps.

Why don't you just use a single powerful motor with a belt?

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
November 29, 2015 02:14AM
Most stepper motors used in repraps are better connected in series rather than in parallel. Depending on your motors, you might get away with two parallel chains of two motors in series. But my advice is to get 24V-capable electronics (i.e almost any electronics other than RAMPS) and connect the 4 motors in series. Alternatively, use a single motor and a belt drive.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 29, 2015 04:50AM
4 steppers on one (z-) plane will be only second best choice.
3 steppers would create a plane that is adjustable.
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login