Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ongoing RMPS issues

Posted by zitman 
Ongoing RMPS issues
May 24, 2016 03:52AM
Hi all,

I had a problem with my Prusa I3 heated bed having stopped working. I had a spare RAMPS board and have fitted this and the printer is now working. BUT I normally use OctoPrint on a Pi to control my printer but it refuses to connect to the printer. I have tried plugging the Mega / RAMPS into my PC using a USB cable and using the serial monitor in the Arduino IDE but I got no response. I also noticed that when I plugged the Mega in the PC did not recognise it. I have other Megas in the workshop and when plugging them into the PC they were recognised no problems.

I am assuming the Mega is damaged in some way. I have not replaced the Mega as yet as my printer is using an old Marlin and I did not have the time to configure Marlin from the start but I am planning to do so at the weekend.

Thanks

Z

My blog: 3DR build and more . . . .
Re: Ongoing RMPS issues
May 24, 2016 06:30AM
It could be damaged... or it could have a different usb serial converter chip

Lots of mega's from china now come with a ch340 usb chips

They are easy to spot on the board

In which case you just need to install the ch340 drivers [www.wch.cn]

If that works on the PC Im not sure how to fix a raspbury pi, it should just work...
on the RPI what does "lsusb" say? before and after you plug it in, does any device appear?

Its also possible you have a rare mega with a clone FTDI that windows has killed (google ftdi gate)
lsusb will show this device as lots of 0000's

So first step is to identify what is your usb to serial converter on your board.
Either FTDI, CH340, Atmega8U2 or Atmega16U2

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2016 06:34AM by Dust.
Re: Ongoing RMPS issues
May 24, 2016 12:38PM
According to the back of the board it is a genuine mega. I have tried both a cheap Chinese clone and another genuine mega and both connect to the PC, so I am assuming drivers for both chip sets are present on my PC, also the thing was working until I swapped the RAMPS board. Something I did I presume just not sure what!

One thing I forgot to mention was that the board powers via the USB just no comms, don't know if that is in any way relevant.

The replacement RAMPS board has arrived so will configure the Marlin and try it this weekend, about time I updated to a modern Marlin anyhow!

Thanks

Z

My blog: 3DR build and more . . . .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login