Advanced

Prusa I3 Stepper Motor Issue

Posted by kwelliott89 
Prusa I3 Stepper Motor Issue
April 08, 2015 07:23PM
This is my first reprap machine. It is a HIC Prusa I3:

[www.amazon.com]

I am running Marlin Firmware.

I have been troubleshooting issues with this thing for awhile getting it printable. I have gotten just about everything set, but I have two remaining issues.

First, the X-axis motor doesn't seem to generate enough torque to turn the belt. This occurred after I adjusted the driver pot and changed the firmware speeds based on this thread [forums.reprap.org]. I adjusted it because the motor was skipping steps really bad. I have tried putting it back to where it was originally, but still no turning. I also tried going with a really low Vref and a really high Vref, but to no avail. One time after adjusting the Z-axis motor driver, I plugged in the X-axis motor into the Z driver by accident. The X-axis motor turned no problem, and the Z-axis driver was set to the exact same Vref (0.32V) and typical Z-axis feed rate and acceleration. The last settings I had were as follows:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,398.269957,94.4962144}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {200, 200, 6, 25}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {200,200,10,200}

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 150
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 150

#define DEFAULT_XYJERK 10.0
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4
#define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0

Is there any reason the X-axis motor would work on one driver but not the other when they have the same Vref?

I calculated the Vref values based on this thread: [www.nextdayreprap.co.uk]

I am running this motor on the X-axis: [www.dhgate.com]

Second, I have pulsing and clicking issues on both the X- and Z- axis. I have tried a range of Vref and feed rate combinations, but the pulsing still happens. I have spent hours reading up on RepRap forums as well as others to find a resolution.

Any help with either of these would be huge! I've been at this way too long, haha.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2015 07:53PM by kwelliott89.
Re: Prusa I3 Stepper Motor Issue
April 08, 2015 09:41PM
Your feedrates and acceleration settings are way to slow. Feedrate should be in the 500 range for X and Y, and the acceleration in the 3000 range.

You need to check the wiring of your steppers, for loose connections or crossed coils. Switch drivers position Z to X and try it, your driver might be bad.
April 13, 2015 02:19AM
First check if the x axis can move smoothly without belt. If the smoothrods are not perfectly parallel the x carriage will bind. Next check if the x motor runs without the belt. Next place the belt and check if the belt can move without problems and that there's not too much tension on it.

As for feedrate, I'd set x and y to 150mm/s for now an z to 3mm/s. Acceleration I'd start with 1000mm/s2 for x an y. Also make sure that you eather use the lcd and eeprom setting orbturn off eeprom as the firmware settings are ignored with eeprom turned on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 02:20AM by imqqmi.
April 13, 2015 09:14AM
Be warned that this printer by default has a warped X axis, and won't work. Did you check yours?

The item which needs to be replaced is on thingiverse: [www.thingiverse.com]

I have exactly the same printer, bought it from aliexpress, and had to replace the X axis carriage and some more stuff to get it to work properly.
My X axis was also slipping, which was due to the bad quality of the aluminium pulleys. I replaced the socket set screws of the pulleys with longer ones to resolve that.

I have to say, for the price, and knowing up front that the X axis carriage would be warped, it's not a bad deal. Do expect to be tuning stuff for a while though, and sometimes replacing parts for a better quality / version.

Out of curiosity, did you get a complete set of STL files with your printer? they should be on the CD/DVD that came with it, but mine didn't have them sad smiley

If you have any further questions about this machine, feel free to ask.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login