Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hobbed bolt differences

Posted by deaconfrost 
hobbed bolt differences
October 13, 2015 03:18PM
any body used this type of hobbed bolt?
[www.ebay.ie]?

its giving me a hard time if I was to do a long print, it seems the thread of the bolt is pushing the filament to one side regardless the groove is lined up with the guide.

i'm going to get this one to replace it

[:AAQ:GB:1123" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.co.uk]

hopefully that sort out the problem, what my hobbed bolt doing is it have a few little click every revolution, I'm thinking thats due to the threaded groove clicking of the filament when it is pushing in the thread direction, after so many hours it gathered enough dust of plastic and just rub against the filament on the same spot, creating heat and about 5mm of it at the bolt just mango up.

any though from anyone about this? would it be any other reason this is happening other than what I think it is, I can actually see the filament moves towards the gear side as it feeds, I saw that by holding the filament spool end in place and turn the gear by hand with the bowden tube out so I dont push it in to the hot end. if I try to extrude without cleaning the hobbed bolt, yep its obvious, nothing happens but a piece of mango filament
Re: hobbed bolt differences
October 13, 2015 05:48PM
The one in the first link looks the ones I throw in the bin - badly cut.
The second one looks much cleaner but I still prefer the striaght variation over the cut groove.
With a straight cut bolt you have less alignment problems and cleaning the chewed filament out is much easier too.
October 13, 2015 06:35PM
got a link for one of them??? smiling smiley
October 14, 2015 01:26AM
Not really as I make my own.
4.5x0.75mm tap and two bearings in a drill press smiling smiley
M5X1 works too.
But instead of cutting deeper and deeper and go along the bolt and repeat until you got nice and even grooves.
Looks quite ugle in the early stages but one the diameters match so the cutted lines are aligned it give a really clean cut.
Once the current print is done I will take my bolt out and take a pic for you.

Here is a pic of a similar desing in comparison to the normal bolt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2015 02:12AM by Downunder35m.
October 14, 2015 01:50AM
The first one is rubbish. It is cut from cheap material and the cut itself is quite dirty. The second is cut from higher quality steel and the cut looks a lot more precise.
Both seem to be cut using threadcutters, which is ok, but not as good as milled cuts.
This is how a really good one looks like [reprapteile.de]

Cheers
Björn

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
October 15, 2015 03:57AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I buy that one from reprapteile now ☺

ps... sold out sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2015 05:45AM by deaconfrost.
October 15, 2015 06:51AM
Reprapworld has the same one, stock is good:
[reprapworld.com]

I own that one and never have any problems with it.
October 15, 2015 10:57AM
cool thanks I get one now smiling smiley

gonna get some other bits for the new frame while I'm there if they have them smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login