Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing Files on my RepRap Ormerod 2

Posted by cjdudley 
Printing Files on my RepRap Ormerod 2
October 20, 2018 05:25AM
Hi guys.

I'm new when it comes to 3D printing, but want to get into it. I bought a second-hand Ormerod 2 from a friend, and I've been trying to get it working.
So far, I've been able to use pronterface to control it from my PC, moving the nozzle around and extruding filament.
I've also installed slic3r, and it seems to recognise my printer.
Printing files is where I'm stumped. I can send files on slic3er, and it says it's added it to the queue, but nothing happens.
Trying to load a file in pronterface gives me a python error.
The board is a duet v0.6, and there is an sd card with the following folders: gcodes (seems to be print files?), sys (configs), www (web interface for the printer, but don't know how to access it when it's in the printer).

Would really appreciate some advice on getting properly started!

Chris
Re: Printing Files on my RepRap Ormerod 2
October 20, 2018 06:43AM
I'm not sure, but what your calling slic3r... doesn't sound like slic3r... Slic3r only knows how to turn a .stl file (the language of 3d files) to a .gcode file (the language the printer understands). It knows nothing of sending files to printers

slic3r is [slic3r.org]

normally you would load a .slt file into pronterface, It would convert the file to gcode and then send it to the printer. But it sounds like yours pronterface is not setup correctly to automaticaly call slic3r. This is not a problem

You can also load gcode files in pronterface, and I personally prefer to user slic3r separately, you get much more control.

So load the .stl file into slic3r. slice it and save the resulting .gcode somehere.
Load this gcode into pronterface, click on connect, verify It connects ok and click on print.

NB start with something simple like a Calibration Cube 20x20x10 mm [www.thingiverse.com]

Or you can try cura, its does everything transparently, and isn't just for ultimaker machines. Its better for beginners, but hides far to much from the user (in my view)
[ultimaker.com]

There is also a web interface on the duet board, but I know nothing of that board...
But there is a forum for your printer here [reprap.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2018 06:57AM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login