Posted by essigwurst 
Printing Issue: Wrong Temperature?
February 02, 2013 10:48AM
Hello Community,

I've got some Issues with my printed Parts (using Prusa Mendel):

links:
overview
bottom

It seems the nozzle "run over" the part, flatten it, and at one point it "disengage" itselfs from the Heatbed.
Also i can't set the Z-Axis way to get up over 0.5mm. (using Sprinter FW and Pronterface).

Temperatures tried: Hotend: 215°C to 240°C; Heatbed: 110°C. (Pending 110°C to 115°C)
also i tried different heights (Z Axis).

'sorry for my bad english & thanks in advance' .
Re: Printing Issue: Wrong Temperature?
February 03, 2013 03:35AM
Hi,

It looks like you have a number of problems going on here. I don't think it is related to temperature. Are you printing with ABS or PLA? Your temperatures are good for ABS, so I will assume you are using ABS. Here are my suggestions based on your pictures.

Sticking issue:

It looks like your Z=0 is too high off the bed. The first layer should squish down into the bed and stick to it really well. When my prints are done, I need to pop them off with a knife (though when I do ABS, cooling the bed is enough and when it cools I hear a pop as it releases).

Check your layer height and nozzle size. Your layer height should be 80% of your nozzle size for display prints, and 60% for prints which need to be strong (as in printer parts). If your nozzle is 0.5mm, your layer height should be a maximum of 0.4mm for show parts and 0.3mm for printer parts.

Check your Z steps per mm. Measure accurately where the Z axis is sitting, then drive up by 30mm. Did it actually go 30mm? Tune your Z_steps_per_mm if this is not the case, until it goes 30mm

You might want to put a "brim" on your parts, this will help lock your part down to the bed and prevent warping.

What surface are you printing on? I have had a nightmare getting ABS to stick to plain glass. My solution that works (and it seems everyone has their own solution that works for them) is ABS juice: take some Acetone, and mix in ABS Plastic (old parts that didnt work out) until they dissolve. Paint this on the glass and let it evaporate leaving a thin milky film on the glass.

Enable "Z Lift" in your slicing software, which will drive the Z up before doing any movements. This will help prevent knocking parts off during print (though in a well calibrated machine this should not be necessary. I don't use Z lift, however it got me printing at the beginning)

You may also want to check your belt tension and ensure they are tight.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login