Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Big empty areas in the infill layer

Posted by demetris 
Big empty areas in the infill layer
February 03, 2013 01:47PM
Hello,
This weekend I tried to learn skeinforge. Really powerful application! However, I noticed weird infill behavior shown in the picture attached.

I am printing with 10% infill. The bottom and top layer infills are fine and filled 100% as they should. Somewhere in the middle of the design SK has a solid infill again (? I guess it prepares for the next layers ?) but leaves a corner unfilled completely. Maybe this is normal because of the layers that follow (?).

Also do the line colors in the Skeinlayer mean something? I tried to search for it but could find anything.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2013 01:47PM by demetris.
Attachments:
open | download - sk_empty_corner.png (66.1 KB)
Re: Big empty areas in the infill layer
February 03, 2013 08:19PM
There is a setting in Skeingorge under Fill, Diaphragm which puts in an infill every # layers.
I can't tell why the infill would do that without seeing the model. it could be affected by the next layers as you suggest.
I am not familiar with the viewer to answer the color issue, but it looks like the color changed every time the head relocated without printing?
February 04, 2013 02:40AM
Hmmm, I am at work now, but I think I have the Diaphragm set to 100 layers. The thing I printed was about 15 or so layers.
Last night I printed another object and the same thing happened but this time, the empty space is visible (i.e. not on the inside of the object). I will post a picture when I go home.
February 04, 2013 02:44AM
Its a check box called infill in direction of bridge that makes SF put strange solid layers when it sees overhangs. Even with it off it will do this when the perimeters will not make a solid outer shell so it puts solid infill in the gap but does it the entire width of the print.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
February 04, 2013 11:25AM
Hi Sublime thanks for the reply.

I understand what you are saying, so what is you strategy to prevent that from your designs? It sounds too strange to me that this problem exists because people here exhibit some great results with Skeinforge. There has to be a solution.

thanks
February 04, 2013 04:47PM
Turn off Infill in Direction of Bridge under Inset, and at the bottom of the Fill tab bump surrounding angle up to 90.
February 04, 2013 05:06PM
Exactly what Dirty Steve suggested is the best bet. But again sometimes SF will still do it. At that point I would try rotating the model before slicing so the infill is in another direction and should not fill nearly as much solid.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
February 04, 2013 05:07PM
Thanks, unfortunately is still there. eye rolling smiley

I am attaching the stl file if interested.

EDIT: @Sublime: just saw your post. So you mean to print it "sideways"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 05:09PM by demetris.
Attachments:
open | download - narrow-short-metric.stl (189.9 KB)
February 04, 2013 05:53PM
demetris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, unfortunately is still there. eye rolling smiley
>
> I am attaching the stl file if interested.
>
> EDIT: @Sublime: just saw your post. So you mean to
> print it "sideways"?

Since the infill is at a 45degree rotation you could rotate the model (or infill) so it is positioned across the shortest direction which should result in the infill only being at the small end because I assume that is where the wall thickness is not enough to make a watertight shell. This may or may not help. You could also try printing with more perimeters. I prefer to print with a shell about 1mm thick regardless of the extrusion width (1, 2, 3, 4 however many perimeters it takes to make 1mm)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login