Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiggly First Layers

Posted by ---AJ--- 
Wiggly First Layers
February 14, 2013 09:31AM
Hi Guys,

The first 2-3 layers print with a wiggly line then it all seems to come o.k, any ideas. I'm assuming its something to do with the extruder speed/temps but I can't work it out.

I'm using a mendel

Cheers
Andy
Re: Wiggly First Layers
February 14, 2013 09:51AM
First layer too high probably.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 09:52AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 14, 2013 10:05AM
I'm running 1.75mm filiment and it starts at a layer height of 0.2mm then jumps up 0.4mm each layer.
February 14, 2013 10:27AM
I suspect that Nophead was referring to the initial set up of your machine. When Z=0, the nozzle should be just touching the print bed if it is not, the nozzle could be too far away from the bed to produce a decent first layer. (It goes without saying that your bed should be level - worth checking).
When things have cooled down, remove and measure the thickness of the skirt if possibel - the outline of your object. It should be equal to the layer height which you have set up in your silicer. This will confirm (or otherwise) the start height of the nozzle.
MARLIN has an M206 command (Sprinter M203) which enables you to provide an offset for Z in the form:
M206 Zz
Enter a positive value for z to effectively bring you bed closer to the nozzle, enter a negative value to effectively move the bed down. (Note that in some versions of MARLIN, this command does not actually work so you may end up having to adjust your Z endstop).
What nozzle diameter are you using?
Alan
February 14, 2013 11:30AM
A picture would make it clearer what you mean, and therefor more likely to give the the correct answer
February 14, 2013 01:32PM
Nozzle size is the standard one which comes with a mendel, 0.5 I think.

With regards to a picture, this is the best I can do I'm afraid.

I've highlighted in red, and to be honest the wiggly line that I've drawn around the thread is actuly pretty close to the problem. the best way to describe the issue is that the thread looks like 'platted hair' in shape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 01:33PM by ---AJ---.
Attachments:
open | download - 2013-02-14 18.17.15-2.jpg (49.4 KB)
February 14, 2013 02:48PM
Looks like the nozle is too high and also the layer height is too big for the nozzle size. What diameter does the plastic come out as when extruded into mid air?

February 15, 2013 04:35AM
average of 0.45mm
February 15, 2013 10:56AM
It isn't a 0.5mm nozzle then as it always comes out bigger than the nozzle. The layer height needs to be 0.3mm or less in order to stretch the plastic into a straight line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login