Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

extruder extruding too much material (ABS)

Posted by Atman 
extruder extruding too much material (ABS)
July 11, 2013 03:11PM
I've just built a Prusa i3, and I'm having an issue with how much material is being extruded. I'm running Marlin firmware, and using Repetier Host with Slic3r. I've calibrated my printer, and it seems to function well, except I beileve it's extruding too much ABS. I printed the .5 mm thin wall object last night, and the wall thickness is about 1.5mm thick. I assume from the name that it should be .5 mm thick walls.

I've calibrated the extruder in the following manner:
1. Entered 650 steps/mm as a starting point in Marlin.
2. extrudered 100mm of ABS (with nozzle on, and running at temp (230 C) - is this correct?) This measurement is the amount of filament passing into extruder from the spool, not the length of .5mm that is being extruded from the nozzle.
3. Calculated the required steps/mm (using Prusa's v2 calculator)
4. ran several iterations, and arrived at 1003 steps (which seems high, but what do i know)
5. measured the actual diameter of filament, and entered this along with nozzle size into Slic3r.

When I try to print an overhanging object (I'm trying to print some ball and socket joints) the overhanging layers look terrible, and the nozzle ends up below the highest level of plastic, and ends up mushing everything around in circles, ruining the print. It looks like too much is being extruded, but what to do? Steps seem correct, if my method is correct.

Thanks in advance.
Atman
Attachments:
open | download - 20130711_114651.jpg (107.1 KB)
open | download - 20130711_114714.jpg (100.1 KB)
Re: extruder extruding too much material (ABS)
July 12, 2013 09:23AM
The cube wall thickness isn't necessarily .5 mil. You need to look at what extrusion width your slicer is putting out given your settings. In slic3r it is in the first few lines of gcode. That's what you should compare to your actual printed width.

Also, I've seen the same mushing when the extruder temp is too high or the print speed is too fast for the size of the object. The previous layer doesn't have time to cool and it all ends up a mushy mess.

If you post more details about your settings folks may have more useful suggestions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login