Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Holes and gaps on top!

Posted by bbence 
Holes and gaps on top!
September 19, 2013 02:43AM
I get consistently good quality prints with my Replicator 1 clone 3D printer, even at fast (80-100mm/sec) speeds and low layer heights, the surfaces are nice and clean, and the prints are otherwise also very acceptable.

But I have an issue which constantly comes up on many prints, namely that the top layers and sometimes the plateau layers are having intermittent holes / gaps on various places.

I tried overcoming this with having higher infill (I usually get along with 10-15%, so I don't see why I would need more just to have better top layer finishing), or setting the number of solid surface thickness to 4 layers (but again, in Skeinforge, this applies to bottom, so it's also kind of waste), and with these I get better but not perfect results.

What would I need to change in Skeinforge to address this haunting issue of holes?

Thanks!
Attachments:
open | download - DSCN4604.JPG (126.4 KB)
open | download - DSC_5466.JPG (111.1 KB)
open | download - DSC_5467.JPG (169.6 KB)
open | download - DSCN4596.JPG (119.8 KB)
open | download - DSCN4597.JPG (100.9 KB)
open | download - DSCN4598.JPG (150.6 KB)
open | download - DSCN4599.JPG (140.2 KB)
open | download - DSCN4601.JPG (157.3 KB)
open | download - DSCN4602.JPG (218.4 KB)
open | download - DSCN4603.JPG (141.3 KB)
Re: Holes and gaps on top!
September 19, 2013 12:01PM
What size is your nozzle and what layer height are you printing at?

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 19, 2013 03:13PM
You need more solid layers on top, or a slicer that can recognize the need automatically.
September 19, 2013 03:44PM
Actually this happens on all kinds of layer height. My nozzle is 0.4mm (Makerbot Replicator 1, with Skeinforge and Sailfish firmware). I have just printed a 0.1mm layer height model (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:146265), it came out perfect, EXCEPT the top! I have very apparent holes on top! I will now try with more agressive solid layer settings (maybe using this: [www.thingiverse.com], specifying 0.75mm top layer thickness) and let's see. Otherwise even this 0.1mm print came out almost perfect with 80mm/sec, 15% infill, but the top is really bugging me... See photos...
September 21, 2013 01:03PM
and that holes/gaps are also in gcode, or it is only matter of settings or smt in HW?

if it is in gcode, it may be case of behavior Unproven mesh when selected in Carve plugin of Skeinforge... (mesh type)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2013 01:05PM by raptik.

vlastni navrh plus ve vystavbe CoreXY

Thingiverse : [www.thingiverse.com]
git: [github.com]
shop: [shop.daje.cz]
Teorie relativity:
vysvetleni 1: sahnes-li na rozpalenou panev, vteriny jsou jak hodiny. sahnes-li na rozpalenou zenu, hodiny jsou jak vteriny...
vysvetleni 2: strcis-li mi nos do zadnice, pak ja mam nos v zadku, ty mas nos v zadku, ale ja sem na tom relativne lip smiling smiley
September 23, 2013 04:06PM
I would guess it's the settings, I don't see the holes in the gcode.
October 16, 2013 01:12AM
is that a hollow infil? if so there is no support past sidewalls as far as i can tell in skeinforge. try using cura to generate the gcode.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login