Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Drying filament other than oven

Posted by fishhf 
Drying filament other than oven
November 17, 2013 09:20AM
Hello everyone, my first postgrinning smiley

I got a roll of PLA that's experiencing quality issues, like blobs on infill, perimeter inaccuracy between layers and difficulty in bridging.
I'm not sure if it was due to humidity (living in Hong Kong, was 80%-90% RH everyday in summer), it was "naked" for around 6 months. So I wanna rule it out.

It's now placed in a box with three huge bags of desiccants with RH of less then 18%, will it be dried like lets say after a week or two?
Or cooking them in an oven is the only choice?
Re: Drying filament other than oven
November 18, 2013 07:24PM
Heat will help drive off moisture, but it won't be very efficient at doing so if the ambient humidity is very high. You have to be careful when heating up PLA. Too hot, and you will end up with the filament binding to itself all over.

Consider using a plastic container with a tight sealing lids, large enough to hold your spool, and some desiccant. Add a small hole to bring the filament out.
November 21, 2013 02:09AM
An update in case someone bumps into this.
Desiccants that's calcium chloride works excellent, I'm able to get less than 10% RH in a week.

My Pla now prints perfectly, clean infills and bridging takes less effort.
Attachments:
open | download - tmp_DSC_84951673731961.jpg (95.1 KB)
November 26, 2013 07:46PM
I was able to get silica gel in bulk fairly cheaply (used for drying flowers, got it at Michael's, an arts and crafts chain). Although you can reuse both calcium chloride and silica gel, apparently the recycle temperature for silica gel is a bit lower (around 150C) versus 300C for calcium chloride.

We'll see how well it works - I have it in a bucket with a 3mm hole drilled for PLA / PETT filament...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login