Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS print speeds?

Posted by Floyd 
ABS print speeds?
December 19, 2013 09:05AM
How fast are you guys going? Im at 30mm and it seems like im going too fast and its not laying nice clean beads.
Just setting up and tweaking my Makerfarm 8" and looking for some baselines.
Re: ABS print speeds?
December 20, 2013 03:03PM
I've printed ABS successfully at 150mm/s, but needed very high temperatures to get there. IIRC, I was running at 240°C, which is just short of damaging my MakerGear hot end. In the neighborhood of 220°C, I can print at 100 mm/s, but quality is still suffering. I'm usually not that worried about cosmetics, so I run at 90 mm/s quite often. Faster than that I run too high a risk of finding some resonance that will cause a lost step and a ruined print.

My temperatures aren't calibrated, so you'll need to do some experimenting to see what temperature settings help you to go faster. Different filaments have different limitations too.

All this is assuming you have sane layer height for your nozzle diameter. According to Triffid_Hunter's remarks in the wiki, layer height should be less than 80% of the nozzle diameter. Sublime here in the forum has some good calculators and settings recommendations on his Tantillus page (Google it).
Re: ABS print speeds?
December 26, 2013 08:47AM
I might speeding it up a bit but for now its producing great prints at .2mm height. I just have to make sure my lift feature is on to help keep it from snagging on the part when it traverses.
I might have to try bumping the hot end temp to go faster, im still at the default 225. Although I am on the Magma hot end so going hotting isnt an issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login