Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Height print issue

Posted by Jabbabi 
Height print issue
December 29, 2013 08:59AM
Hi there !

I'm new to the RepRap world and I (like everybody I guess) have trouble with my prints.
I printed this model : [ge.tt]
Here are some pics :

[ge.tt]
[ge.tt]
[ge.tt]

The problem is that the cube is 2,5 x 1.3, should be a real cube...

What I've done so far in my repetier host firmware :

1) Set the "disabled Z axis when not used" to false
2) Reset my Z leveling

Nothing changed...

Any help would be really appreciated smiling smiley
Re: Height print issue
December 29, 2013 01:23PM
Hello Jabbabi,

The problem points to only one thing from my standpoint, your printer firmware is not properly calibrated, particularly way off the mark when it comes to ZSteps in your printer boards firmware.

Looking at your prints, the embossed 'Y' looks totally squashed. Also as you stated your stated output print size of 2.5cm/25mm on other axes is also way off compared to the 20mm Square Cube STL your using. The problem points to only one thing, your printer firmware is not properly calibrated, particularly drastically way off the mark when it comes to ZSteps in your printer boards firmware.

So ALL your firmware axes are out of calibration in the printers firmware, hence your problem lies in a totally un-calibrated firmware/printer.

Personally I would not perform calibration with that small of a cube 20mm.
In your case though I would stick with the 20mm cube until you get the firmware STEPS somewhat close (your calibration is so far off, no sense in printing a larger time consuming 40mm cube).

For fine tuning I uses a 40mm square cube, as firmware calibration issues are exploited in a more visible/measurable way on larger stl printed objects.

I would get yourself and accurate pair of dial calipers, measure your print output, and calibrate your firmware.

Lots of sources in this forum and on the internet on how to properly calibrate your particular firmware, just do a quick search (sorry, most of my old links to calibration pages are gone)

Example:
Calibrating the X, Y and Z axes
[code.google.com]

Expect to spend a day or two changing/calibrating firmware STEPS, not a quick process.
1) Print Calibration Test Cube.
2) Measure Calibration Test Cube.
3) Adjust STEPS in firmware and upload changes.
4) Print Calibration Test Cube again.
5) Measure Calibration Test Cube again.
6) Repeat until your printer is calibrated.

Note: I consistently print +-.01mm tolerance on my printed parts @ .1mm/100 micron layer height.
My 40mm Calibration Test Cube typically measures between 39.99-40.01mm.

A well calibrated printer can do amazingly tight tolerances when setup properly.

This should get you the right size.

Hope this helps !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2013 01:43PM by ShawnT98027.
Re: Height print issue
December 30, 2013 02:34AM
Hi Shawn !

Thank you so much for your reply. There are still some little tweaks (not so little in this case ^^) that I must master. I will try asap and get back to you for news!
Again, thank you. The dial caliper is already waiting for me (I used it to setup the frame).

I will post the procedure here, it will surely help other people.

Thank you smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login