Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New at Printing

Posted by iamwill 
New at Printing
January 21, 2014 07:05PM
So, I am still in the "calibration" phase of learning how to print 3d. I have noticed that my prints seem to have excess filament on it in places where there are suppose to be gaps... So this leads me to a question that is better answered by more experienced people...

Is faster printer better quality or is slower printing better quality.

I am using Pronterface to print and I am going at:

XY: 3000mm/min
Z: 200mm/min
Heat: 205.0
Extrude: 4mm @ 48mm/min

I'm using PLA with no heatbed and painters tape. There is no warping on the base and the objects are sticking just fine.

Thanks for the help.

Will

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2014 07:28PM by iamwill.
Re: New at Printing
January 22, 2014 01:26AM
The numbers on the pronterface screen have nothing at all to do with print speed. All they control is the speeds of the commands that are sent when you press the various pronterface buttons.

Print speed is embedded in the gcode that your slicer produces. If you want to print at a different speed, you will need to get into your slicer and change its settings and then reslice your object.

BTW to answer your question - to increase print quality, you generally need to print at slower speeds.
January 22, 2014 06:57AM
jbernardis,

Thanks, that makes sense. This leads me to my next problem.. [forums.reprap.org]

I will tweek the slicer file to make it go slower, but I need it to actually do something first. ( Thanks again for the help.)

Will
January 24, 2014 06:49AM
I figured it out... Auto-cooling was stopping the printer for continuing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login