Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r.exe keeps disappearing when slicing files in Pronterface

Posted by AlexT 
Slic3r.exe keeps disappearing when slicing files in Pronterface
February 16, 2014 03:14AM
Hi,
Has anyone experienced the problem of Slic3r.exe disappearing when loading a file into Pronterface? I've had it happen on two different PCs now where for some reason a particular STL file seems to upset it and while that file is processed by Slic3r, at some point in the process the .exe file gets deleted. If you run the file directly through Slic3r (i.e. bypass the step in Pronterface) and then load the generated gcode into Pronterface there's no problem, it only occurs when Pronterface is using it. I am running the latest version of both programs.

Many thanks,

Alex
Re: Slic3r.exe keeps disappearing when slicing files in Pronterface
February 16, 2014 03:58AM
As you've discovered, its better to run Slic3r as a standalone program outside of Pronterface.

February 16, 2014 05:11AM
I use Repetier on my Mac, with integrated Slic3r, and it never failed. However, Slic3r has it's perculiarities but yet since today I'm back at it to try and get it working fully because Cura is giving me weird problems.

Maybe you should try Repetier with the Integrated Slic3r?
February 17, 2014 04:55AM
Thanks Ohmarinus, great suggestion and it seems to work well. I tried Cura and couldn't get decent results so dropped it.
February 17, 2014 10:34AM
I've had trouble in the past of the Slic3r stand alone shutting down. I found if the .stl file has too many problems (not manifold, etc.) it's overloading the program. Have you checked your file?
February 18, 2014 06:05PM
The file is fine and works ok on Repetier, it works ok on Slic3r if you run it on its own, it only causes the problem when you run it through Pronterface so I suspect there's some buggy coding in there which for some weird reason deletes the Slic3r.exe file.
February 18, 2014 10:19PM
Which version of Pronterface are you using? I like using the "printrun-win-Mar2012-slic3r" version.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login