Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bent Z Rod a problem?

Posted by hhbhagat 
Bent Z Rod a problem?
February 28, 2014 11:25AM
I just got a pre-assambled RepRap Prusa i2 (Mendel), and one of my Z-axis rods are slightly bent. Video: [d.pr]
Is it worth it to try to straighten it out before I print more, or can I simply leave it?
The PLA prints that I am doing are consistently being knocked off by the hotend midway through printing. I tried a hotbed temp of 50 and 60C . The hotbed is uncoated/untaped glass. Do you think it is an adhesion issue or an axis rod issue?

Thank you
Re: Bent Z Rod a problem?
February 28, 2014 11:43AM
A bend in the z-axis rod should not cause your hot end to drag through the print and knock it off. It sounds more like an adhesion issue. If you have some masking tape / blue painter's tape lying about, try printing on a layer of that on top of the glass. If you've got some PVA glue, dilute it about 1:1 with water and paint it on the glass (my preferred solution).

Movement in the z-axis is more likely to cause banding in your prints than cause them to be knocked off the glass. Have you noticed any banding in what you've completed so far?

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
Re: Bent Z Rod a problem?
February 28, 2014 11:59AM
No. the prints look perfect. I cant post a picture right now, but they are sturdy and have a good consistency of line. I am using Pronterface, but I have no idea whether or not my z-offset is working. I have tried applying painters tape, but the hotend simply rips through it on the first layer. Any idea how to do that? I have tried hairspray, but it may not be the right kind.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login