Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

gaps between lines prusa i3

Posted by AJMetal87 
gaps between lines prusa i3
March 01, 2014 05:43PM
Anyone know whats going on with my prints? all of a sudden there started to be gaps in my lines every two lines and I am 8 hours into trying to resolve this with no luck.

[imagebin.org]

Prusa i3 with magma + slic3r configs.

I have confirmed the Gcode is solid cause it worked in another, identical model.

Edit for more information:

I have made sure that my set screw on stepper axels are very secure.

I have not modified firmware or software in any way since my prints had worked without the gaps.

To attempt to eliminate additional variables I've done a stepper swap with X and Y.

The image I have attached was printed with the hot end a little farther than normal away from the bed but I have 2 hours into fine tuning the hotend height. That variable can be eliminated as well.

Edit2:

I have reflashed firmware and tried slicing with Slic3r 9.9, 9.10b and Cura. Same results.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 10:52AM by AJMetal87.
Re: gaps between lines prusa i3
March 01, 2014 06:05PM
All of a sudden? Things don't usually change suddenly without a reason. Do you see or smell anything different on your electronics?

Have you changed anything recently? Such as different filament, firmware, software, software settings? New hot end?

Has something happened to your printer? Fallen, bumped, shared with another person (if they don't know what they're doing they can mess things up) Check for loose or missing nuts/bolts, belts, pulleys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2014 06:07PM by KingRahl.
March 01, 2014 06:53PM
The problem started after I moved the printer to my new shop.

I have verified all nuts and bolts are tight, I also thought that it may be the grub screw on the flat side of the stepper shafts for X or Y might have been loose allowing it to turn maybe .5mm without moving the belts but those are all nice and tight without any movement aside of when the motor decides to run.

Nothing on software/filament/firmware/settings changed either.
March 03, 2014 11:54AM
Looks like you have drift in the X or Y axis (depending on the orientation of the picture.) Whichever axis is on the horizontal of the image is drifting.

Feel the motor, is it hot/cold compared to the other axis? I'd expect that it may be cold, and you need to bump the current up on it. (Turn the trimpot on the controller for that axis 1/8 turn clockwise.) If it's hot (hotter than normal) you may need to do the oposite, which is turn it down 1/8 turn counterclockwise.

Good luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login