Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing with heated bed causes power to cycle on/off

Posted by ttttrigg3r 
Printing with heated bed causes power to cycle on/off
April 27, 2014 01:22AM
Problem: I print fine without turning on heat bed. When I try printing with heated bed, it would print fine for a few layers, then all of a sudden, the printer turns off then on. This causes the printer to miss codes and produce a shift in print. I've recorded the moment where it happens. I suspect a power issue.
My specs: Prusa i3

MakerGear Hot End Kit 1.75 mm w/ Wade’s Mounting and .35mm Nozzle
RAMPS DIY Kit Complete w/ pre-solderd SMT
Wade’s Nema 17 Extruder set w/Hive76 Bolt
Prusa i3 Hardware Kit
PCB Heated Bed
Power Supply
5x Stepper Motors

Youtube video of fault: [www.youtube.com]
Product of fault:
[i143.photobucket.com]
Re: Printing with heated bed causes power to cycle on/off
April 27, 2014 06:01PM
Its probably the polyfuses on the RAMPS, you can bypass them with a length of wire (provide suitable overcurrent protection elsewhere), or it might be enough to point a fan at them to keep them from getting hot enough to trip.
April 28, 2014 02:17PM
Bump. It's not the fuse. It only gets slightly warm, not hot. I've also ran a fan at high speed directly blowing the board. Fault still there. This fault happens more often on larger prints than smaller. Still looking for answer.
April 28, 2014 02:45PM
what size is the power supply? soulds like it may be shutting down or could be an interment short shutting down the Power supply.
April 28, 2014 10:17PM
My PS is a Dell 12Vdc 18A. I think 18A is more than enough to run everything at once.
April 29, 2014 12:38AM
18 amps is most likely borderline. If you are running at full capacity of what the ramps board is rated, that is 16 amps. So you have a 2 amp reserve or is only 12% of you total rating. The power surge of things turning on is surpassing that reserve and shuting down the power supply. In the end, you will need a bigger supply.
April 29, 2014 06:28PM
Thanks, can you recommend me to a site where I can get a bigger PS? I don't know too much about it. I built this printer in a group build and everything was already selected for me, so I don't know how to chose a PS.
April 29, 2014 08:14PM
Depends on what you want to spend, do a search for 20 or 30 amp power supplies. You can get a dedicated power supply (Maxwell or similar) or a computer supply.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login