Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lack of extrusion on layers with less

Posted by MrDoctorDIV 
Lack of extrusion on layers with less
May 08, 2014 04:28PM
On layers with less mass [in the print shown it's layers without infill, on my first it was the whole thing because it was small] it seems as though it isn't extruding as much as it should and does on other layers.
I've changed my retraction from 3.2 to 1 [for upgrading to E3D hotend]
I've looked at my extruder, it isn't skipping steps, but it does seem to be skipping to steps. It doesn't move smoothly and I can see this on long, straight moves where it bulges in areas, thins, bulges again, etc.
I've tried raising the temps and it makes no difference.
I haven't gone majorly down, but speed lowering didn't seem to make a difference either.
I ran this hotend at 210C on my SD board [probably lack of bootloader, I couldn't update firmware] but have upgraded to a Minitronics with repetier firmware/host.
I've tried changing my extruder stepper driver pot, but the only thing I noticed changing was the amount of squeal produced.

What else is there to check?
Attachments:
open | download - Front.jpg (301.3 KB)
open | download - Right.jpg (191.9 KB)
Re: Lack of extrusion on layers with less
May 08, 2014 04:30PM
I got better looking prints when I couldn't get hot enough on my SD board. Each layer a sheet of glass smooth, just a tad bit of under extrusion on perimeters and skips in infill due to too much friction.
May 08, 2014 11:14PM
Did it start with the new hotend or was this why you changed? I have seen this with mine when it is under extruding on start up. Is you gear slipping? (Guess you don't mention extruder type) did you rerrun PID on the new hotend, did you change orifice size and forget to change to in your slicer? Just my thoughts...
May 09, 2014 04:19PM
I got that one problem figured out, prints are nice with my usual filament. However, with my "Pro" filament there seems to be a lack of extrusion on thin areas [different than problem posted here, where it's whole layers] but everything else seems just fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2014 04:21PM by MrDoctorDIV.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Attachments:
open | download - ProPLAThinAreas.jpg (593.1 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login