Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Top layers and bridges are smudged. Which params to adjust.

Posted by wimvh 
Top layers and bridges are smudged. Which params to adjust.
June 10, 2014 04:02PM
Hi,

I have two problems with my prints on my mendelmax:
- If I have a flat top surface, the infill is smudged
- If I have small (width is 3mm for example) items that have a few millimeters height, then there are "wires" when the head moves from one item to the other

In the attached picture you can see that the top surface is not really flat + between te letter U and T there are wires and loose ends.

Does anybody have an idea what is causing this? May first three layers print very nice, the perimaters of the large object on which the letters are printed are also very nice, the honeycomb fill is also very good... only top infill layers (3 of them) are smudged, and the small letters as you can see
Which parameters should I adjus in slic3r? Could this be because the object is not cooled (there is no fan pointing to the printed object during printing)?

Please advise on what I am doing wrong.
Re: Top layers and bridges are smudged. Which params to adjust.
June 10, 2014 06:37PM
you are just over extruding a bit. Under Filament Settings>Filament>Extrusion multiplier, if it is set to 1, reduce it to .99, .98, .97 or where you get the results you want. If you go too low, you will start to get weak prints with gaps.
June 11, 2014 07:00PM
You might also need to increase your retraction length to get rid of the strings.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
June 12, 2014 03:11AM
Ok, thx for the response.

One question: is this an option in slic3r or in the (Marlin) firmware

I also read something about a minimum time for a layer (so that it can cool), but, I checked slic3r settings and could not find an option to set this. Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Wim
June 12, 2014 04:56PM
Extrusion multiplier is in Slic3r, under the tabs in the first reply.

Retraction length is also in Slic3r, under Printer Settings / Extruder 1

Cooling settings (including minimum time) are under Filament Settings / Cooling / Cooling Thresholds / Enable fan if layer print time is below

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login