Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS/PA Alloy Parts Stink Twice

Posted by MrDoctorDIV 
ABS/PA Alloy Parts Stink Twice
June 25, 2014 11:11AM
So when I print in my ABS/PA alloy, not only does it stink during printing, but when broken they gave off the same smell. Even single walled, non hollow portions give off this smell, so it's obviously not large pockets of air.
Does this mean I'm printing wrong or is this standard with ABS or Nylon? If I break Legos they don't smell, so I'm fairly certain it's abnormal.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Re: ABS/PA Alloy Parts Stink Twice
June 25, 2014 05:02PM
Not sure. People say that ABS smells in their printer but I cant smell anything coming off of mine. Its such a non issue that I have my printer on one side of my PC desk.
June 25, 2014 05:07PM
I have mine right next to my computer, I don't smell the print from sitting, but if I lean closer to my printer and take a big whif, or just breath real close to my printer, I can smell it. The smell while printing isn't the issue. I don't want my customers to feel threatened by broken prints. I can even smell it if I stress it a bit. This isn't something I want to sell.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 25, 2014 07:10PM
I have broken many parts (some on purpose) and have not noticed any odor from them. Of course I have not been sniffing them either. If you notice a strong odor it may be your brand of filament with some odd chemicals in it.
June 26, 2014 08:09AM
You don't need to sniff anything to notice it, it smells almost as strong as when it prints.
Think maybe it has to do with the fact that it's an alloy? Or simply not as good filament?
Seemed high quality to me. Packaged extremely well, sturdy spool, etc. I don't remember the numbers, but I remember the filament diameter hardly varied.

June 28, 2014 07:29PM
Sorry, never used the alloy. I would ask the seller.
June 30, 2014 10:02AM

So when I print in my ABS/PA alloy, not only does it stink during printing, but when broken they gave off the same smell. Even single walled, non hollow portions give off this smell, so it's obviously not large pockets of air.
Does this mean I'm printing wrong or is this standard with ABS or Nylon? If I break Legos they don't smell, so I'm fairly certain it's abnormal

Push Plastic here!

Our "iOn" ABS/PA copolymer is indeed stinky stuff when melted. The smell is coming from the additives that the resin manufacturer adds to get the ABS to bond to the Nylon. They are not any more harmful than the gases released from melting normal ABS. Once the material is set, the smell should dissipate very quickly. I have 10 parts printed from iOn on my desk and can't smell them at all.
June 30, 2014 11:57AM
So it is that it's an alloy. Thanks.
I'm not concerned about stangnant smell, that's not a problem. As soon as the parts are stressed or worn in any way the smell is present. As soon as they break or the surface is torn up, the smell is as strong as when it is printed. I won't be using a more expensive, robust filament simply for looks. But you answered my question and I can adapt accordingly.

BTW, I still have your samples, which didn't turn out too well. But I'm waiting for a printer that can actually print well before I give a final evaluation of your plastic. I do notice that it prints sharper, angles and vertical curves have a more pronounced printed look. Not a bad or good thing, just changes it's best uses. Personally I like sharper, but I work with techincal prints, not artistic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login