Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can PLA withstand acetone vapors?

Posted by MoonTimber 
Can PLA withstand acetone vapors?
June 30, 2014 03:39PM
I'm going to experiment with smoothing out ABS prints in a glass jar using the vapor from Acetone. I want to be able to do several parts at once by building some stackable trays to go into the jar.

As I understand it, PLA isn't affected by acetone. Will PLA resist Acetone enough that I can use it to make my trays?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2014 06:35PM by MoonTimber.
Re: Can PLA withstand acetone vapos?
June 30, 2014 04:10PM
Possibly. It becomes soft and degrades a bit. It doesn't smooth, but it does lose some structural integrity.
To answer according to your application: Your ABS will melt and bond to the PLA, regardless of how the PLA itself reacts. I don't think it's going to work, I toyed with the idea myself, but that's what I came to in experimenting.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Re: Can PLA withstand acetone vapos?
June 30, 2014 05:38PM
Sounds like you just saved me from creating a sticky mess, thanks!

I'll have to see if I can find some stackable glass trays somewhere that will fit inside my 2 gallon glass bottle. Perhaps a candy dish.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login