Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is this a Z-axis issue

Posted by Phototoxin 
Is this a Z-axis issue
January 14, 2015 02:48PM
I've recently resumed work on my 3D printer (Prusa i3/Marlin/E3D) and got it mostly functional with the help of my local RepRap gang.

I've tried good quality filiment and it seems to flow nicely - however this was the result - it's a bit squished on the Z axis and I don't know why (It should be a cube)

I have attached an image of every angle of the cube (I think the top is a modelling error) and there seems to be some bits missing and the whole thing is 'squished'

Any thoughts?
Re: Is this a Z-axis issue
January 14, 2015 03:19PM
Well first off based on the bottom you bed is not level, getting the bed level is one of the most important factors in a good print. Next the distortion seems to be on one side mainly, I am going to guess (since you did not provide all the info needed) that you are printing ABS with a heated build platform at say 100c or above? If so, then drop that temp down to 90c. Excess heat rises and meats up with heat coming down from the heater block and causes distortion.
January 14, 2015 03:58PM
Sorry, I'm printing PLA and its at 205C on a 60C bed
January 14, 2015 04:10PM
OK, do you have a fan blowing on the filament? Also 205 is a little hot for PLA try 190 or even 185 but a fan is important for PLA (the bed still needs to be leveled).
January 14, 2015 07:15PM
I have a fan for the hotend but not the filiment. I will try these things and level the bed.
January 15, 2015 12:19AM
Pla really needs a fan to cool it as it prints, some even just set a house fan or computer fan next to the print bed blowing over it but it's best to have a dedicated fan mounted with the extruder blowing on the PLA as it's printed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login