Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Issues with material warping upwards only on one side of my prints

Posted by manorius 
Issues with material warping upwards only on one side of my prints
April 16, 2015 12:53AM
Hi guys,

I have a two printerbots and although it does great prints there is a problem that I'm having with both.
Sometimes corners or curved sides of my print, the material lifts and hits the printhead resulting to print artefacts like in the attached images.

The issue is not exclusive to overhangs. I've also noticed that this happens mostly on the right side of my prints, the opposite side of the fan, not sure if there is a correlation there...
I'm using a printrbot simple metal with Cura and my settings for the above print are the following

Any help is highly appreciated!

thanks
Re: Issues with material warping upwards only on one side of my prints
April 16, 2015 09:13AM
It's physics. Plastic shrinks as it cools. The curling is because of the overhang. There's less plastic under the overhung line, so when it shrinks, it lifts upward. I've seen some fan nozzles designed as a ring that surrounds the extruder nozzle but I have no idea if that works any better.
April 16, 2015 12:59PM
I would suggest using support material on such overhang, it will help with temperature stabilization and reduce the curling.

A surrounding fan will improve the printing
April 16, 2015 01:51PM
It's because of your fan. If you mirror your setup and put a fan on the opposite side, your problem will go away.
April 16, 2015 02:11PM
Or just rotate the print 180* so your angle is facing the fan...
April 17, 2015 12:10AM
Guys you are right! turned the model 180* and it came out perfect! I never thought that the fastest you solidify the plastic the better for warping, I always thought that you need to keep the plastic hot for no warping, hence the need for hotbeds.
Here is the result
The problem with printrbot is that there is not space for a second fan sad smiley ... I need to think of something...

cheers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login