Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA filament constantly snapping and breaking

Posted by Downunder35m 
PLA filament constantly snapping and breaking
June 07, 2015 01:08AM
I got a few rolls of 3mm PLA delivered last week and wanted to do some prints over the weekend.
However, using it seems to be impossible as it is quite brittle and tends to break when it gets fully straight.
Had it going into my extruder a few times now but as soon as the print movements start it just breaks again.
Contacted the seller by Email and he claims I am handling it wrong as the filament is quite flexible.
Was offered a refund if unhappy with the quality by postage for the rolls is close to 50$ sad smiley
I suspect it to be old stock that was not stored properly but is there a way to make it usable again?
Otherwise it is a 120$ write off or 50$ loss for postage.
Re: PLA filament constantly snapping and breaking
June 07, 2015 09:54AM
I had the same except it cracked after prints when i came back to the printer after 2-3 days...

[www.youtube.com]
June 07, 2015 10:02PM
sad smiley
Now that you mentioned that I tested the few parts that had enough printed for a snap test.
The stuff is brittle like a dry cracker.
Even thin parts have no flex and break right away.
When I manage to get more than 20cm through the extruder it also started to come out discolored, often like burned sugar.
Print temp was played with from 200° C down to 170° C with no difference.
Guess it really means I need new filament and can use the old one to create nice loops as wall decorations sad smiley
June 09, 2015 01:00PM
Have you tried drying the filament?
June 09, 2015 03:08PM
Yeah, we have the same thing happening to one of our PLA spools. And it also causes blockage in our extruder, but that may be for other reasons?
June 09, 2015 08:48PM
I had the spool in a container filled with silica gel in my oven at 50° C for about 4 hours.
Did not change a thing, it still breaks like before, is brittle like glass and a test print with some solid parts in it cracked while cooling down.
The seller is really helpful as he confirmed other people had similar complaints and offered to send new filament from a different supplier - if the old filament is being sent back so he can investigate and get his refund on the order.
It is a nice gesture but still won't help me with the high postage costs for sending it back.
After a lot of reading I found some info (not only limited to PLA) that states plastic granules for extrusion purposes should be used in a three stage process.
1. drying
2. pre heating to the state of becoming soft
3. extruding
So in a desperate move I was holding a hair dryer close to the filament while going into the extruder...
Only difference was that the extruder started chewing filament...
I am done with this now and take it as a costly write off.
Maybe I can make a small extruder to get the filament into 100m thick stick to be used for repairs with my hot glue gun...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login