Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Huge layer offset/jump

Posted by awmt102 
Huge layer offset/jump
July 20, 2015 10:31AM
Hello,

I've been running very successful prints for a while now but I ran one today (the only difference between this and the last being new filament) and about 20 layers into the print (all of which were almost identical to each other as the print is mostly vertical) the part suddenly started building with a huge Y offset (~25mm). The printer still believed it was in the correct place.

I didnt notice the issue until several hours later when I went to check progress. I have attached two photos.

I am familiar with a lot of the 'usual' offset issues such as stepper motors overheating/not being powerful enough and acceleration too high so inertia causes resonance that overcomes motor torque, but neither of these things seem likely as it was a one off and was such a huge jump.

The printer is a Sells Mendel with Repetier firmware and Repetier host.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 10:32AM by awmt102.
Attachments:
open | download - 2015-07-20 15.09.50.jpg (145.7 KB)
open | download - 2015-07-20 15.09.43.jpg (159.7 KB)
Re: Huge layer offset/jump
July 20, 2015 11:34AM
It could be a communication problem, usb cable, interfering usb drivers, data error etc. If you're certain its not stepper driver or the nozzle hitting something. Do you have pets? Belt tension? You didn't provide any details like accelertion, max. velocity, jerkxy settings, slicer software and settings etc.

It could be a good idea to put a webcam with audio input and record the prints you're going to do. It could reveal sounds and jerk motions or lack of motion that could lead to the answer.
July 20, 2015 11:51AM
I don't know about the Sells Mendel in particular, but the usual causes of jumps in Y are the belt not being securely locked to the Y axis, or the Y motor pulley grub screw not being tight enough (especially if the motor doesn't have a flat on the shaft).

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 21, 2015 01:41AM
The new filament needs new e-step/ flowrate calibration. It seemed to flow better than the old filament. ( or has a slightly bigger diameter?)
This accumulates through the layers and the nozzle starts to scratch across the part and finally runs into it, which caused the huge skip.
-Olaf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 01:43AM by o_lampe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login