Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New User print problem

Posted by MaJiKatz 
New User print problem
September 11, 2015 09:27AM
Hi,

I purchased an i3 several months back and finally got it working (0.4 mm nozzle and an autolevelling sensor). I'm using the cura software package at the moment. My buidplate is aluminum and I am using masking tape to get adhesion.

I'm trying to optimize my printer, but I'm having two problems. They could be related, but I'm not sure.

ABS temp: 245
buildplate temp: 80

my base is curving and i'm getting a bit of layer adhesion problems (see photo).

I'm assuming that the strain on the curved base is causing the layer separation, but, as a newbie, I could be wrong.

I'm sure this is a common problem, but i'm not sure where to start looking.

Cheers,

Mike
Attachments:
open | download - Facebook-20150911-105615.jpg (51.6 KB)
Re: New User print problem
September 11, 2015 12:45PM
I'm not sure about ABS, but the bottom layer of PLA will curve up at the corners if you leave the heated bed on for too long. I usually turn the heated bed down to about 40C after the first few layers and to zero for the last dozen or so layers. The heated bed is just necessary to get it to adhere to the build plate.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong here..
September 11, 2015 05:33PM
Hi Mike

I run my abs at 255C and bed 85C

I also found that if the abs is too cool, it will not adhere well.

Another idea I use for prints with a small contact area on the bed, or for large prints where cooling could case a warp :
make yourself an stl file for a 20 x 20 mm 'base pad', 0.25mm think ( or whatever thickness you print your first layer ). Then when you position your print in Repetier, also add the base pad, and resize it to fit the object with about 10mm extra all round ( in Repetier, if you use the resize option, click on the padlock to unlock so you can adjust the x,y without changing the Z.

Then when you print, it prints the base pad first - helps adhesion and reduces chance of warping, and it is easy to remove afterwards.

If your printer is outdoors or well ventillated, you can also try the self adhesive plastic instead of the abs slurry.

I posted about it here : https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/alternate-print-surface-abs-no-slurry
September 11, 2015 08:29PM
Try using a raft with bed temp of 105.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login