Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Servo Deployment Causes Brown Out

Posted by jwgv23 
Servo Deployment Causes Brown Out
November 06, 2015 01:25AM
Hi all,

I've been trying to fix this problem for a while now. I've searched far and wide and have yet to find a solution (or really anyone else who has had this problem). I'm working with a MakerFarm Prusa i3v 12" with a Rumba board. The servo that deploys and stows the z endstop on my new itty bitty double extruder is extremely touchy. About 75% of the time, when it is moved to the deployed position, the printer will reset. Occasionally when I can deploy it, the printer will then restart when I retract it. I'm not sure if this is a power issue or if there is a problem with the firmware. This is making it impossible for me to home the printer in the z direction, and therefore impossible to get a good print.

Please give me any suggestions. Or, if there happens to be one that I didn't come across during my hours of searching, point me toward another forum where this has already been discussed.

Gracias
Re: Servo Deployment Causes Brown Out
November 06, 2015 02:25AM
Don't know about the Rumba board, but common sense is, you need a separate 5V supply for servos.
I recommend looking for RC-UBEC stuff or use a PC powersupply for 12V and 5V too.
-Olaf
November 09, 2015 12:00PM
I don't know about the Rumba board. But on ramps if you have a short, printer reset itself or goes offline.
November 09, 2015 07:39PM
Check all connectors and connections for the power supply and servos.
A contact problem there (or with the heaters) will drop your connection as the USB port is disabled due to using too much power.
November 20, 2015 10:45AM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Sorry I haven't been back in to give an update in a while.

I got so fed up I ended up just unplugging the servo from the board, and manually pushing the endstop down with my finger to home, then pulling it back up before printing. This worked for me up until the other day when I plugged my printer in and nothing happened. Turns out I fried something in the power supply... whoops. Anyway, I got a bigger power supply hooked up to the printer, plugged the servo back in and everything worked fine. Printer doesn't reset when the servo is deployed and I don't have to worry about remembering to push the endstop down or pull it up before/after homing or auto bed leveling.

Moral of the story: Make sure your printer has enough power!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login