Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quality of Filament

Posted by awesomed1 
Quality of Filament
November 28, 2015 06:05PM
I recently found an ebay listing selling 1kg rolls of ABS and PLA for $15 each, and if you buy 3 you get a 4th roll for free. So the price per roll is effectivly $11.25.

I was wondering if I would see a difference between this and something like Inland filament from Microcenter. Also, the only color left that I would get is green, which is only available in ABS. Since I am new to printing I was going to go with PLA; is it worth it to avoid ABS for the time being?

I also have a $10 coupon from ebay that expires soon, making the filament even cheaper.

Edit : I should probably mention that I am planning on building a Wilson II (bought the parts recently) which has a heated bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2015 06:09PM by awesomed1.
Re: Quality of Filament
November 28, 2015 06:41PM
If your printer isn't enclosed with the temperature inside the enclosure at 45-50C, don't bother with ABS. You will have delamination problems. Open frame machines can print PLA and HIPS, and maybe other filaments, but ABS is out. It isn't difficult to build an enclosure for your printer- you can use a cardboard box or foam insulation board. Some people report success by simply placing a garbage bag over their printer.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 28, 2015 06:51PM
Thanks. I'll probably stick to PLA until something comes up where I need ABS. Now I have to decide to get purple or yellow filament at a cheaper price or pay extra for better colors spinning smiley sticking its tongue out .
November 28, 2015 09:02PM
I would just get the Microcenter stuff. It has been good for me and I wouldn't want to take the chance getting 4 rolls and it ends up being crap.

Also Microcenter has PETG for 18 bucks a roll and that seems to me to have the good properties abs has I like (bridges and overhangs work good) and is easy to get to stick.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
November 28, 2015 11:55PM
@msaeger Interesting, I'll have to look into PETG. Thanks for the recommendation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login