Issues using filament purchased @ GearBest.com [Anet A8]
January 04, 2017 10:57AM
I purchased my first 3d printer recently (Anet A8 from GearBest.com).
The printer comes with 10m filament, so I added 300m of white PLA filament to the order.

Using the 10m filament which came with the printer worked really well. The problems began once I switched to the 300m filament
The material is constantly 'leaking' out of the nozzle, which causes the entire print to be ruined.
I tried the following:
  • Lowering nozzle temperature to 185 (originally 190) - I hoped it will stop the leaking nozzle issue, but it didn't
  • raise nozzle temperature to 210
  • Slower printing (40mm/s instead of 60)

Anyone used this filament and can give a noob a helping hand?
Thanks in advance
Re: Issues using filament purchased @ GearBest.com [Anet A8]
January 04, 2017 02:21PM
What color was the initial 10m filament?

I have no experience with your filament brand, but I've noticed different colors of any filament seem to take different temperatures. Some ooze more than others at lower temperatures with the only difference being color. For instance, I can print Hatchbox Silver PLA at 180C, but the same part in Hatchbox Green PLA doesn't run well unless its at 200C, and Hatchbox Yellow PLA only seems to run well at 190C or higher. In terms of running well, if I don't increase my temperatures in the course of the print it will stop printing and start grinding the filament in the titan extruder.

You might also have to increase your retraction a little more depending on your extruder setup (bowden or direct), and or travel speed. I've seen my systems ooze while heating up and stationairy, but once a print starts after the initial nozzle prime, retraction distance and travel speed prevent any sort of ooze from affecting my print.
Re: Issues using filament purchased @ GearBest.com [Anet A8]
January 05, 2017 05:22AM
Thanks for the reply
Original was transparent filament, current is white.
I tried playing with the retraction parameters but with no significant differences

I tried increasing the bed temperature to 70 (originally 60) and the extruder to 220 (originally 200) which seems to give better results; problem now is that the material doesn't stick to the painter's tape (could it be because of the bed temperature?)

I want to try putting some duct-tape on the brim of the model right after it is finished to hold it better.
I read someplace that putting a thin layer of regular 'kids' glue before the print can also help, maybe I'll try that too
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login