Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anet A8 Printer acting weird when send in a print???

Posted by cam100100 
Anet A8 Printer acting weird when send in a print???
January 26, 2017 01:54AM
Hi, I am new to making 3D Printers and got the Anet A8 3D Printer put it together and everything worked perfectly until I Sent in a print with Cura.exe and even tried to do it on micro usb but got the same results.
What happens is when I send the print in it says it’s starting to print and moves to get into position but when it hits the z axis endstop the z axis left motor moves the bar upwards fast but the z axis right motor doesn't move it up also when it says its printing no filament comes out of hotend even though if I push it through it does come out as seen in this video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/idsze3fvgs95vkr/load%20noise.mp4?dl=0
Also I am getting red flashing lights on the Anet A8 motherboard as seen in this video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lctowsc23ru3jmg/blinking%20lights.mp4?dl=0
Here is a picture of the error code when I canceled the print on Cura.exe if that helps:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yugtzqqdfvs5xpn/20170125_170931.jpg?dl=0
I am stumped and don't know what to do. I hope someone can help me out and knows what’s going on.
Thanks in Advance!
Re: Anet A8 Printer acting weird when send in a print???
January 26, 2017 03:57AM
You have not said whether you are using the stock firmware, or whether you have flashed a different firmware (skynet?).

Firstly flashing red LEDs. These don't indicate faults. Just above the bed and extruder connections is a small round electrolytic capacitor. Immediately to the left and right of this are two red LEDs. The left one on indicates that the onboard hotbed mosfet is turned on. The right one indicates that the onboard extruder mosfet is turned on. These are generally on when heating up takes place, but will flash when the set temperature is reached. since the processor switches on and off the power to maintain the temperature constant. There is a third LED below and to the right of the processor chip. This one flashes each time the processor executes a new line of code.

With regard to the error code, The M105 code asks the printer to report the temperature of the bed and extruder. The notes that I have indicate that this code does not have parameters associated, therefore the T0 following would seem to be fouling things up. Do you have the "flavour" of the Gcode set to reprap/marlin in the slicer? Is the slicer set for a single extruder? Check also that the correct Baud rate of 115200 is set in both the driver on the PC and under Machine/printer settings in the slicer. Have you tried printing one of the Gcode sample files provided on the SDcard that came with you printer, if so does the same thing happen ? These should print OK, but tranfer them to a decent quality card or to the PC as the quality of the cards provided can be dubious. Don't forget to use the "unmount" and "mount" card procedure if you change the card with the printer turned on.

With regard to the Z stepper motors. The two Z steppers are driven in parallel off a single stepper driver, so that one should not operate individually. Check with power off that both stepper motors turn smoothly and the Z leadscrews are not binding. Use manual control to raise the X axis and watch the behaviour of the two Z motors. If they start to misbehave at a particular point then you have a problem with the Z axis guide rods not being parallel. It is important also not to overtighten the X axis belt. The right hand end moulding of the X axis is held in place on the X rods by friction alone. If the belt is overtightened it can pull the moulding in and cause stiffness on the Z guide rods. If these checks don't find the problem then it is probably a faulty stepper motor.
January 26, 2017 12:51PM
I am using the stock firmware that came with the Anet A8 3D Printer which is Cura.exe

All the printing settings are default to the instructions which match to what your saying.

I have tried printing one of the GCode sample files on the sd card but that did the same thing.

I have checked the motors and both motors move perfectly and even tried tightening them even more but it still does the same thing.

I cant seem to figure out the problem and I don't thing the Stepper Motor is the problem I think it may be the Anet A8 Motherboard could that be the problem?

I checked to see if all the plugs were in correctly as you can see in these videos:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ab1juu24lujtgpd/20170126_073027.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbtscl4xty8j0x0/20170126_072641.mp4?dl=0

Here is the diagram that came with the printer and followed it exactly:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzom1109unxc2nv/20170126_073157.jpg?dl=0
January 26, 2017 03:28PM
Cura is a slicer program not firmware, but if you don't know this you are unlikely to have changed the firmware.

The Z axis should not take off like a rocket after hitting the Z endstop. Open the gcode file in a text editor and post the first 30 lines so that I can have a look at them please.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 03:34PM by Supermec.
January 26, 2017 04:20PM
I bet he didnt look at the start Gcode in Cura.
Agreed, post the first part of the gcode file with the setup info. I bet you have a move command in there.

I believe Cura default is
G28 X Y
G28 Z
G1 Z15

If you motor steps per mm are off then it might cause the Z axis to move very fast like that.
January 26, 2017 09:07PM
Supermec
Cura is a slicer program not firmware, but if you don't know this you are unlikely to have changed the firmware.

The Z axis should not take off like a rocket after hitting the Z endstop. Open the gcode file in a text editor and post the first 30 lines so that I can have a look at them please.

Here is the first 30 lines in my gcode file I tried to print:

M140 S80.000000
M109 T0 S240.000000
T0
M190 S80.000000
;Sliced at: Wed 25-01-2017 16:58:31
;Basic settings: Layer height: 0.2 Walls: 1.6 Fill: 20
;Print time: #P_TIME#
;Filament used: #F_AMNT#m #F_WGHT#g
;Filament cost: #F_COST#
;M190 S80 ;Uncomment to add your own bed temperature line
;M109 S240 ;Uncomment to add your own temperature line
G21 ;metric values
G90 ;absolute positioning
M107 ;start with the fan off
G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops
G1 Z15.0 F3000 ;move the platform down 15mm
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
G1 F3000
;Put printing message on LCD screen
M117 Printing...

;Layer count: 66
;LAYER:0
M107
G0 F3000 X93.00 Y93.00 Z0.20
;TYPEconfused smileyKIRT
G1 F1200 X104.41 Y93.00 E0.37943\

Image of code in notepad: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g77tjj8omjiojt5/code.PNG?dl=0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 09:10PM by cam100100.
January 26, 2017 09:36PM
Floyd
I bet he didnt look at the start Gcode in Cura.
Agreed, post the first part of the gcode file with the setup info. I bet you have a move command in there.

I believe Cura default is
G28 X Y
G28 Z
G1 Z15

If you motor steps per mm are off then it might cause the Z axis to move very fast like that.

I don't think my settings are off in Cura I changed them all. I made a video to show you guys my settings in Cura.exe as seen here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wguh5bj3qavfw8e/20170126_181151.mp4?dl=0
January 27, 2017 01:27AM
Finally got somewhere it seems to work now for some reason but now I have the problem where the hotend extruder doesn't seem to push the filament at all but it works if I manually push it into the hotend as seen in this video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1nxqtzfsheofvb/20170126_220851.mp4?dl=0
Does anyone know why and how to fix?
January 27, 2017 03:50AM
I think that the T0 code on its own in the third line is the cause of the problem. This code is not being recognised and interpreted by the processor which is then incorrectly interpreting code that follows. Slice the file again, edit the gcode (you should be able to do this within the slicer), if T0 on its own is still there then delete that line. Delete the M140 command line this is not necessary. Then edit the first two lines to read as below and save the file. This should then print OK. I have changed the order of the M190 and M109 commands because the bed should heat first and then the extruder. The four original lines look as though they weren't generated by the slicer itself but look to have been set in the slicer's start code.

M190 T0 S80
M109 T0 S240

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 03:58AM by Supermec.
January 27, 2017 09:27AM
cam100100
Finally got somewhere it seems to work now for some reason but now I have the problem where the hotend extruder doesn't seem to push the filament at all but it works if I manually push it into the hotend as seen in this video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1nxqtzfsheofvb/20170126_220851.mp4?dl=0
Does anyone know why and how to fix?

In machine settings, you have your e steps/mm set at 0, this is why you get no fillament.
For a direct drive extruder this should be ~120 ish (this number needs to be calibated)
January 27, 2017 09:50AM
For the Anet A8 the steps per mm for the extruder should be the stock setting of 95.
January 27, 2017 11:14AM
Supermec
For the Anet A8 the steps per mm for the extruder should be the stock setting of 95.

I am new to 3D Printing and don't know where the stock setting is in cura.exe Settings. can you please explain to me?
January 27, 2017 11:40AM
Should the X, Y, Z, E be 95 for the Steps per mm in the settings or just E?
January 27, 2017 11:46AM
Just for E (extruder)
Again... Cura has NOTHING to do with firmware.
Cura just slices the file you want to print. Firmware is what is loaded onto your controller board and that has all the parameters on how to behave.
January 28, 2017 04:04AM
Floyd
Just for E (extruder)
Again... Cura has NOTHING to do with firmware.
Cura just slices the file you want to print. Firmware is what is loaded onto your controller board and that has all the parameters on how to behave.

I did check the securing screws in the extruder gear as seen here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1biep3nloz1g7cn/20170128_003847.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/khtl2l3aklr8jwb/20170128_003506.jpg?dl=0
I also tried controlling the extruder gear on Repetier Host but that was unsuccessful as seen in this video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k37y6m5uc6syh71/20170128_004904.mp4?dl=0
and it seems to all be connected correctly. I am unable to push the filament hard enough w the idler pulley is not being pressed.
I checked and set the steps per mm of the extruder to 95 on printer and in software as seen here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlh7x9qkhhnj9i9/20170128_004715.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vp1xjci5ns3rjhd/20170128_004828.jpg?dl=0
I see the plugs are all plugged in correctly and firmly as seen in this video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbtscl4xty8j0x0/20170126_072641.mp4?dl=0

I am stumped still and confused at what is going on?
January 28, 2017 05:22AM
can you post a copy of your eeprom settings, useing repetier host press alt-E then export data
January 28, 2017 05:27AM
Allso, are you heating the nozzle to above 170 degrees,befor trying to move the extruder, software will prevent cold extrusion.
January 28, 2017 03:27PM
obewan
Allso, are you heating the nozzle to above 170 degrees,befor trying to move the extruder, software will prevent cold extrusion.

for some reason my nozzle will only go to 165 degrees but that should be fine for the extruder.
January 28, 2017 03:35PM
obewan
can you post a copy of your eeprom settings, useing repetier host press alt-E then export data

How would I find that when I press alt-E it doesn't do anything.
January 28, 2017 04:13PM
cam100100
obewan

How would I find that when I press alt-E it doesn't do anything.

If alt E doesn't bring up a eeprom menu then maybe eeprom is disabled in your firmware
What firmware is loaded onto the controller? marlin is default min 170 degrees for extrusion(this can be altered in config.h)
165 might be to low to even melt the fillament enough for the extruder to push out of the nozzle (check the heater in the hot end, make sure its not loose or falling out)
January 29, 2017 12:08AM
You need to get the latest firmware from the github page and use the arduino software to configure and upload it to your board.
January 30, 2017 02:35PM
Have you tired to print the testfiles directly from the sd card. Not via the computer?
January 30, 2017 08:14PM
Firstly, don't even think about changing the firmware. Unless you know exactly what you are doing you can really screw things up.

Use the printer menu (the operating manual on the SDcard that came with your printer will show you details). Press the centre button to go into the menu system, then press the bottom button to go down until you come to an entry "configuration", press the right hand button to select. On the new screen press the bottom button until you come to the entry "Extruder", press the right hand button to select. The first entry should be "Steps/mm:" and it should show 95. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHANGE ANYTHING or you can screw the printer. Using the top button go up to the "back" entry and select it with the right hand button.

You say that the extruder will only heat to 165C. This is not hot enough and the protection lockout will prevent filament from being extruded (other than by pressing the release button and feeding it in by hand). Check that the heater cartridge is fully home in the heater block and that the extruder thermistor is fully into the small hole in the same. Watch that you don't pull back the wire coverings or you may get short circuits. What happens when you use the printer menu to select "preheat PLA" and go back to the main screen? The target temperature for the extruder (the second number in the top line) should show 190, and that for the bed (the last number) should show around 50 or 60.

There are two red LEDs towards the bottom of the control board, both should be lit either steady red or flashing red. Watch the actual temperatures of the extruder and bed (the first and third numbers in the top line of the display) are they rising (the bed will be slower than the extruder)? Wait until it is obvious that both temperatures have stopped rising. Have the bed and extruder both reached their set temperatures? The extruder may vary up and down a degree or so. If you cannot obtain both the set temperatures then check the DC volts being put out by the power supply. If this is less than about 12 volts then you have a power supply problem. If this is OK then you have a problem with either the Extruder heater or the extruder thermistor. Turn everything off and leave to cool. Unplug the extruder thermistor E_T from the board and measure the resistance if not pretty close to 100k then it is faulty, also disconnect the heater from the control board and measure the resistance it should read about 2.6 Ohms if not then the heater cartridge is faulty.

If everything was OK and the extruder heated up to the set temperature then using the printer menu do a Home All, followed by a Preheat PLA. Wait until the set temperatures are reached and then in the menu go to Print File and select one of the Gcode files to print (Not the STL files). If everything goes OK then you need to set up Cura again. Use the operating manual and set the values throughout to those shown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2017 08:22PM by Supermec.
September 30, 2020 04:44PM
Yes. I just bump into this error. However. It has nothing to do with GCode. I save it as a file and open in Pronterface. Just finished printing.

It look like a bug in Cura. I will try to find some better workaround.

Anet A6 stops at initial G-code and waiting for user confirmation
[github.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2020 04:45PM by NemesisCaine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login