Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Specifying Extrusion Width instead of Layer Thickness

Posted by brnrd 
Specifying Extrusion Width instead of Layer Thickness
April 02, 2012 12:15PM
Excuse me if this feature(s) have been suggested.

Currently, Slic3r 0.7.1 sets the extrusion width ratio automatically based on the layer height setting. I've found many times when I don't really care about the layer height but I would like to specify the extrusion width. One example is when I want to print a part where I want a thin wall to be exactly two filament layers. If the thin wall is 1 mm wide, setting the extrusion width to 0.5 mm should make the walls two filaments wide. It would be easier in such cases to set the layer height to 0 (auto) and the extrusion width to to 0.5 mm. This is similar to how cameras allow manually setting the shutter speed or the f-stop in semi-automatic mode.

Another feature that would be worth considering would be a fully automatic mode where both layer thickness and extrusion width are set to 0 and slic3r automatically selects them based on nozzle diameter and printing speed.

In order to do this, the extrusion width setting need to be changed from ratio to mm.

Thanks.
Re: Specifying Extrusion Width instead of Layer Thickness
April 09, 2012 01:27AM
Excellent ideas, try posting them at [github.com] if they haven't been mentioned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2012 01:27AM by nigel_mck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login