Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bad print issues.

Posted by danlad1631 
Bad print issues.
May 18, 2013 09:36AM
Been printing really well with PLA and thought I'd give ABS a try, as you see in the pictures the print quality is not very good.

I've increased bed temp to 120 and head temp to 220, is this correct?

In the pictures you can see the fins are not printing all the way to the sides, what is causing this?

The centre hole should be round but looks more like an egg and the overall print quality is really bad.

Can anyone help me improve this?
Attachments:
open | download - Not joining.jpg (398.7 KB)
open | download - Not round.jpg (524.5 KB)
Re: Bad print issues.
May 18, 2013 02:41PM
Temp should be somewhere between 225-235 for the hotend and 110 for the bed. Do you PLA print fine?
May 18, 2013 03:29PM
Ok thanks. Yeah the pla print ok, the quality could be a bit better but it's not bad.

Do you have any idea why the fins are not meeting the sides?
May 18, 2013 04:03PM
danlad1631 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok thanks. Yeah the pla print ok, the quality
> could be a bit better but it's not bad.
>
> Do you have any idea why the fins are not meeting
> the sides?

Not reall other then temp can cause some weird stuff. Aso make sure you measure your filament in several places and average it out and input it into settings. It does make a difference. Also I hope that calibrated your extruder correctly, pushing too much or too little can cause all sorts of problems.
May 18, 2013 04:12PM
Good point, I did calibrate it for pla but it might be different for abs. I'll check that and see how I get on.
May 25, 2013 05:06PM
I am thinking you are under-extruding.

You need to:

1. Explicitly set the extrusion width in the advanced area of Slic3r. Set it to 1.4x layer height, but no less than the width of your nozzle - whichever is larger.

2. Then print a single-wall cube - say 30x30mm. Set infill to 0% an permitters to 1 and no top layer.

3. Measure the result. If it is not 30.00mm by 30.00mm, then adjust your X and Y stepper calibration - I will assume you know how to do that - but maybe not since you are not getting round holes.

4. Measure the wall thickness. If it is not the same as what you said your extrusion-width should be then go into filament settings and adjust that value by the ratio of the difference.

[www.matter-replicator.com]
May 29, 2013 01:57PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll make some changes and see how I get on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login