Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sparse infill

Posted by swiftdemise 
Sparse infill
July 03, 2013 04:16PM
Hey guys,
Ive been using Cura and now I'm trying out Slic3r and have been having trouble getting the same quality slices. For large prints, Slic3r works great and gives me reliable prints, but for prints that have smaller features, I'm having trouble getting good slices even at 100% infill. It seems to not infill everywhere it should, so the prints come out a little hollow.

Settings in both Cura and Slic3r are the same... 0.5mm nozzle, 0.3mm layer height, 2 perimeters, 100% infill

Cura:

Using Slic3r:

As you can see, Slic3r is having trouble adding a solid infill between the perimeters in the larger closed circles.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks!
Re: Sparse infill
July 03, 2013 10:21PM
i find that sometimes i have to change my shell settings to 1-2 on smaller prints to get a better print.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 04, 2013 02:28AM
There's not enough room for it to infil, but odd that the Cura slice seems to use a much much thinner extrusion. Slicers auto extrusion width can choose pretty wide values.

If you can find out what extursion width Cura is using you can enter that width in slicers settings to force it to use the same width, which would leave more room for infill and should match the slicing between both programs better.
July 04, 2013 01:19PM
Ahhh I didn't realize there were Slic3r extrusion width settings! Thanks!
July 07, 2013 03:25PM
I recently tried the new slic3r 9.10b and I noticed the infills were pretty sparse on thin parts. It doesn't seem to fill them completely, just a squiggly line. I haven't even change any settings and re-slicing with 9.9 gave me better and desirable infills. Was there a change in the infill process between 9.9 and 9.10b?
July 08, 2013 04:40AM
gyronictonic: I'm seeing the same thing on my smallish test prints with the latest Slic3r. I'm very new to this so I just assumed I was doing something wrong.
July 08, 2013 09:18AM
Just testing now... after putting slic3r into advanced mode and then setting under "Print Settings>"Advanced" the value for Default Extrusion Width to 0.5mm, my problem seems to have gone away on this model.

I'm now getting 100% Infill and no funny gap with a weedy big of zigzag plastic in the gap between the inner and outer wall.

If you look at the attached photo, left two are prints with automatic width. The right side print is with 0.5mm width set. The print also seems a lot more consistent overall too.
Attachments:
open | download - fr_3146_size1024.jpg (257.8 KB)
July 16, 2013 08:03PM
Thanks ShaunD!

I was having the same problem, and since I am also new to this I also thought I was doing something wrong. Changing that setting to 0.5mm also solved the problem on a part I was trying to make.

Does anyone know if there is an issue filed for this in slic3r's git page? I have been taking a look at the issue tracker, but since I'm new, I'm not sure I'm understanding all the issues.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login