Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r 0.9.10b not running on Ubuntu 10.04?

Posted by summetj 
Slic3r 0.9.10b not running on Ubuntu 10.04?
July 16, 2013 12:51PM
I downloaded Slic3r 0.9.10b and tried to run the prebuilt linux executable (On ubuntu 10.04) and got this error message:

Can't load '/home/summetj/Desktop/Slic3r/lib/vrt/e779d601fd7ca8fdd2a8acf4ede8c7fc/Utils.so' for module Boost::Geometry::Utils: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.14' not found (required by /home/summetj/Desktop/Slic3r/lib/vrt/e779d601fd7ca8fdd2a8acf4ede8c7fc/Utils.so) at /DynaLoader.pm line 157.
at /home/summetj/Desktop/Slic3r/lib/std/Slic3r.pm line 32
Compilation failed in require at /home/summetj/Desktop/Slic3r/lib/std/Slic3r.pm line 32.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/summetj/Desktop/Slic3r/lib/std/Slic3r.pm line 32.
Compilation failed in require at /home/summetj/Desktop/Slic3r/lib/std/cavaexecscript/slic3r.pl line 13.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/summetj/Desktop/Slic3r/lib/std/cavaexecscript/slic3r.pl line 13.

Slicer 0.9.8 worked just fine on Ubuntu 10.04.....am I just SOL and need to upgrade to 12.04? Or can I fix/install/upgrade glibc somehow?

Thanks,
Jay
Re: Slic3r 0.9.10b not running on Ubuntu 10.04?
July 22, 2013 04:12PM
I think this is really a CPAN problem. I hate CPAN problems almost as much as I hate logical-volumes on a hard drive. (Always takes me 30 minutes to refamiliarize my self to the point I can start upgrading my computer's HDDs.)

Fortuneatly I'm running into similiar problems.
Unfortuneatly I'm running Ubunto 12.04.
But if I get anywhere today I'll post a follow up.

-good luck
July 22, 2013 04:24PM
Thanks! Glad it's not specificly due to my "older" OS, because I don't particularly want to upgrade...I hope you figure it out for me!
Jay
July 23, 2013 12:33AM
Well, I renamed the Slic3r directories under my repetoirHost directories so they were unreachable. Then I downloaded and unpacked Slic3r. I didn't install it. I just whent to repetierhost and change the path to Slic3r to where I unpackaged it. Seams to be working.

Edit: Sorry, I wrote this post and I think it is a bit out of context. I was trying to get Slic3r to work as installed by the repetierHost package on my Ubuntu box. Maybe I should have run the repetierHost script as root. But I don't think it complained when I ran it as myself and installed Slic3r in my own user space. When Slic3r didn't work I first started installing new CPAN packages to get rid of errors in the repetierHost logs. I believe these errors were generated by Slic3r. So I don't think I am far off posting about this here where most are probably running Slic3r stand alone. Well, after I cleared all that up, I was still getting an error about something called ZTable. I think ZTable was actually in the Slic3r code and not yet another CPAN package. It was then that I abandond the repetierHost installation of Slic3r, essentually deleted the Slic3r directory under the repetierHost directory in my user space, installed the lastest Linux Slic3r from the slic3r.org page and pointed repetierHost to that copy of the the slic3r executable. That finally worked.

I think there is an older Linux download of Slic3r at slic3r.org. If you can't get the current version to work you might delet it and try the older version. However, you might consider upgrading your Ubuntu box. Doing a dist-upgrad isn't as easy as doing an upgrad. But I still think going to the next version of Ubuntu is easier then doing the same in Fedora. Well, the last time I tried upgrading Fedora to a different version I gave up and simply installed a fresh copy of the next version.

-good luck

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2013 11:07AM by st2000.
July 23, 2013 11:13AM
Let me get more specific. I think in your case an error line like this one:

Can't load '/home/summetj/Desktop/Slic3r/lib/vrt/e779d601fd7ca8fdd2a8acf4ede8c7fc/Utils.so' for module Boost::Geometry::Utils: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.14' not found (required by /home/summetj/Desktop/Slic3r/lib/vrt/e779d601fd7ca8fdd2a8acf4ede8c7fc/Utils.so) at /DynaLoader.pm line 157.

Means you have to have this module loaded:

[search.cpan.org]

This isn't exactly what I did, but I think is the way to install CPAN modules:

[www.cpan.org]

So I think you want to do something like:

cpan App::cpanminus
cpanm Module::Utils

...maybe. Try it. If it doesn't work read that cpan howto install page again.

-good luck
July 23, 2013 04:14PM
It was my understanding the slic3r included most/all dependancies in it's pre-build packages, but I went ahead and did a

sudo cpan Boost::Geometry::Utils

and it installed (plus a lot of dependances) but I'm getting the same error. Perhaps it's because my GLIBC library is out of date?

/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.14' not found

Jay
July 24, 2013 06:22AM
Update: I was able to get Slicer 0.9.11-dev running on Ubuntu 10.04 by "compiling" from source. I basically followed the instructions here:

[github.com]

I also had to run cpan to install a few packages, notably Wx, which had a lot of dependancies, including libwxgtk2-dev that had to be installed with apt-get.

After a lot of compiling of binary-to-perl adapters and re-running the Build.PL file a few times I got it all working! (Have to use the "--gui" option to get the GUI up when running it.)

Unfortunately, this still didn't fix my problem with the pre-compiled 0.9.10b linux binary, so I guess I'll be running the bleading edge development version from here on out ;>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login