Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

horizontal shells

Posted by noslenwerdna 
horizontal shells
July 23, 2013 02:32AM
Horizontal Shells seems to have no effect at all.

I was noticing the problem with my prints and decided to take a look at the g-code in Repetier. When you look at each layer you will notice that the horizontal shells don't change, there is always one on the bottom and three (not really shells but actually solid infill layers) on the top. I am slicing at .1 mm and I want 7 layers for my top and bottom... no such luck. It doesn't matter what number I use in the configuration, I always get the same in the g-code. 1 solid bottom layer, followed by a hollow layer, followed by three filled layers. The rest of the g-code is normal until you get near the top, then it's a filled layer, followed by a hollow layer, followed by three filled layers and no solid "shell" at all on the top.

Please take a look at the g-code in the editor and check out your layers, don't just look at the print as it might look pretty good even with this strange slicing going on. Scroll through one layer at a time and you will notice a huge difference between the bottom layer and the rest of the filled layers as the bottom is the only layer that is truly solid.

If anybody can figure this out, please let me know. Slic3r is an amazing program and I am humbled by what it can do. However, this does seem to be a bug that maybe you can only notice if you are printing in .1 mm with a .1 mm first layer and a 100% first layer width (not the default 200%).

I'd be happy to share my g-code and .ini files if anybody wants to take a closer look.

-Andrew
Re: horizontal shells
July 23, 2013 02:56AM
Seems odd to reply to my own post, however, I found that by unchecking the radio button to "fill only where needed" gets rid of the strange hollow gaps and then gives me solid fill for the seven layers top and bottom. However, the top surface is less of a surface and still just a solid fill as opposed to a smooth, tightly packed surface like the bottom layer.

-Andrew
July 23, 2013 03:18AM
Dang! I wish I had worked this out before posting... I'd feel less... well...

Okay, so as it turns out, I needed to set the "top solid infill" to 100% and voila! Now I have a top surface. That was the same thing that I had set for my "first layer", you'd think I would have figured that one out yesterday...
July 23, 2013 08:32PM
lol thats some conversation you have going there.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 23, 2013 08:34PM
It was really late at night.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login