Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r Never Finishes Generating Support Material

Posted by Aberrant 
Slic3r Never Finishes Generating Support Material
December 18, 2013 02:59AM
Attached are my settings, and the time I allowed it to run before I killed it. I have found out that in previous versions the support generation is where it would hang and never finish. I was told to change the overhang angle as a possible fix and it worked on the old version.

I am now using the newest release Slic3r 1.0.0RC1. I am getting the same scenario again of never finishing generating the support material. Any tips or values to change? I have no idea why it never finishes.

Re: Slic3r Never Finishes Generating Support Material
December 22, 2013 12:25PM
I found one solution. It seems the bug from the previous version still exists. The overhang angle has an effect on if slic3r will hang or complete. I changed the number from 62 to 30 degrees and it finished. I then tried it at 70 degrees to find it hang forever again. I switched to 0 (automatic), and that worked as well.

I hope this helps save others time in the future.
December 22, 2013 03:56PM
Default (-0-) is actually 45 degrees. You should never need support at a higher angle than that. Some machines can get away with lower numbers. I don't know though why Slic3r would hang.
December 22, 2013 06:37PM
tmorris9
Default (-0-) is actually 45 degrees. You should never need support at a higher angle than that. Some machines can get away with lower numbers. I don't know though why Slic3r would hang.

Thanks Tmorris9. From what I understand, slic3r works inversely from KISSlicer in terms of overhang angle. From my understanding, KISSlicer works from 90 (vertical) to 0 (horizontal).

Could it be said that 90 would be horizontal and 0 would be vertical in Slic3r? I am not sure if my guess is correct, so I want to see if others agree.
December 22, 2013 07:24PM
If you hover over the value window in Slic3r it states 90 = Vertical, so 0 would = Horizontal. So anything above 45 should not need support and some printers can even get away with 30 or less.
December 22, 2013 08:33PM
tmorris9
If you hover over the value window in Slic3r it states 90 = Vertical, so 0 would = Horizontal. So anything above 45 should not need support and some printers can even get away with 30 or less.
I had it backwards, my fault. I meant to say the inverse and use KISSlicer as an example. When I hover over the Support Degree slider in KISSlicer, it says "any surface of the model more than X degrees off vertical will get support." I am assuming 0 off vertical is vertical and 90 off vertical is horizontal. Sorry again for the confusion. It seems inverse to me but I will need to do more testing with both programs to find out for sure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login