Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Offset being ignored? (1.0 RC1)

Posted by isotone 
Z Offset being ignored? (1.0 RC1)
January 15, 2014 12:29PM
Hi,

I have just got a new hotend built which is a little longer than the previous one, and I am unable to get slicer to change the point at which it thinks the bed is.

It continually tries to go past the bed (have removed it for calibration).

My firmware has got its own offset, is this overriding it, is it a bug (fixed in RC2?) or am I doing something wrong? I have tried many different offset numbers, positive and negative but there is no difference in its behaviour.

cheers muchly for any help!

Rich
Re: Z Offset being ignored? (1.0 RC1)
January 15, 2014 01:05PM
Why do you think it is a slicer problem?
Did you find any place to adjust your bed in slicer setup?
You have changed your printer physically so you need to calibrate this so your sw knows where to start the printing.
Slicer only knows to print the object between 0-Zmax and starts at first layerheight after a calibration to 0 (G28).
So find out on how to calibrate your printer with endstops activated and place values in fw or EEPROM or better: both. EEprom overrides offset in fw if different.
when calibrated you may issue a g28 as a start to be sure axes are where they are supposed to be and slicer gcode output will do the rest when you start the program.
January 16, 2014 05:48AM
Ah ok thanks a lot, I must've misunderstood the purpose of the Z offset in slic3r. I will just edit the Z home position in the firmware for each printing end

I am unsure of how to change EEPROM settings (have a mendel90 with a melzi) rather than firmware, I will have a look around but if you have any how-to links that would be appreciated

cheers!
January 16, 2014 06:27AM
You MUST know how to calibrate your printer, it is so basic that you need to search this information thorougly. How to, depends on your machine, max or min endstop etc. Check reprap vicki or similar for endstop settings.
It is not necessary to use EEPROM settings which is enabled in FW, but it eases changes in settings during testing, but remember it overrides fw settings.
Repetier Host allow EEPROM changes online, just select Config/Fw eeprom config when connected. It is a good practice to copy eeprom settings to fw for default startup.

Here is one suggestion if it suits your printer:
http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?4,293221

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 06:46AM by justcurious.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login