Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

holes in layers above honeycomb infill

Posted by dpeart 
holes in layers above honeycomb infill
February 22, 2014 03:47PM
I am seeing holes on the solid layers on top of honeycomb infill. I'm thinking that the printer may be going too fast over the infill so the filament is snapping and leaving holes. Each successive layer looks better than the first but the holes never go away completely.

How do I slow down the speed for the first solid layer on top of infill? I thought it was this setting: Top solid infill:, but I've changed that setting from 75% to 50% and can't tell any difference. Not sure if this setting actually does anything

Is there a way to do this? I really don't want to slow down all layers if I don't have too.

thanks
dave
Re: holes in layers above honeycomb infill
February 22, 2014 04:50PM
My observation is that I get holes relative to the honeycomb size.
At 15% infill, the top layer might get some holes..
When flat, it will be solid only after the 3rd top infill and onward.

So increasing the infill % (thus making the honeycombs smaller,) will get better surface.
Increasing the number of top layers will do too.

Finally, you could increase the flow of rthe top layers, by the advanced screen. This means increasing the extrusion per percentage of the layer defaults. (More plastic)

suc6

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
February 22, 2014 05:28PM
I just always set my top infill to 4 layers. No holes.
February 22, 2014 06:19PM
My infill is set at 25%, so I added a 4th top layer. We'll see how that does.

dave
February 23, 2014 06:34PM
See [forums.reprap.org] where I reported that the layer on top of infill is treated like a bridge except for speed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login