Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bed temperature for first layer

Posted by jstck 
Bed temperature for first layer
April 07, 2014 09:54AM
Hi!

When I generate a gcode file, it appears as if the bed temperature setting for the first layer just isn't used. For example, in the ABS filament preset, I set first layer temperature to 110, the rest to 100. When looking at the gcode, there is a "M140 S100" command between layers 1 and 2 to set the bed temperature to the "other layers" temp, and "M140 S0" at the end to turn off the bed heater (which I have in the "custom end g-code"). There is nothing that turns on the heat before layer 1, and the "110" number just isn't mentioned. I either need to set the bed temperature manually before printing (which I forget to do half the time), or have it in the "custom start g-code" (which means I have to change both "Filament settings" and "Printer settings" for different plastics/temperatures).

It simply seems the Filament Settings -> Filament -> Temperature / Bed / First layer setting has absolutely no effect on the output gcode (other than the "; first_layer_bed_temperature = 110" comment I see when doing verbose output). Is this intended behaviour, a bug, or am I just doing something wrong?

Using Slic3r 1.0.0 on Mac.
Re: Bed temperature for first layer
April 11, 2014 04:30AM
Try this in start G-code:

M104 S[first_layer_temperature] ; set extruder temp
M190 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; set bed temp & wait
M109 S[first_layer_temperature] ; wait for extruder temp

Also read the tooltip for start G-code - if slicer detects M104 or M190, it does not generate any default temperature setting G-code.
Re: Bed temperature for first layer
April 12, 2014 02:59AM
I had an M140 command (not mentioned in the tooltip stuff, it just says M104/190) in the custom G-code that was commented out, which was apparently enough for it to be "detected" and ignored. However, using variable names in the custom start G-code is a lot more elegant. Also it means I can do an M140 to start heating, go homing while it heats, and then an M119 later to wait for all temperatures before starting to print.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login