Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r keeps adding a raft when I don't want one

Posted by AndyD 
Slic3r keeps adding a raft when I don't want one
April 20, 2014 09:54AM
Hi folks. I'm using the latest version of Slic3R (1.0.0 stable) under Window 8 and I'm really impressed by it's features and performance. Unfortunately, there's one little irritation that's bugging me. Early on I played with the raft feature, but decided I didn't like it or need it, so I turned it back off,. Unfortunately, Slic3r keeps re-enabling the raft. I can disable the feature, save my settings, switch to another panel and switch back, and there it is - enabled once more :-( Any ideas most appreciated!
Re: Slic3r keeps adding a raft when I don't want one
April 20, 2014 07:56PM
Do "File", "Export Config" and save with a useful name. When you start slicr3 the next time, just load that same config - in fact, it may load automatically

April 21, 2014 07:40PM
How are you saving your settings from slic3r, and how do you invoke slicer from within your host program? What host are you using?

If you are using pronterface, you CANNOT use the printer/print/filament settings mechanism that slic3r uses by default. You must export your configuration (file/export) as waitaki suggests. When you export, you specify a file name, and then when you invoke slicer you need to specify that file on the command line. If you do not specify a config on the command line, when you use slicer non-interactively, it will slice with default settings. Many claims have been made about why slic3r does not retain settings, when it ALL boils down to this issue.
April 25, 2014 12:24PM
Edit the text ini file in notepad and save it....

I get that bug too....
April 25, 2014 02:24PM
It's not a bug. I would be willing to bet that the text file you are editing with notepad is NOT the same file you are editing from within Slic3r. You think you're changing it, but it gets written to a different file, and then when you run the slicer, it uses the old unchanged file.

I have never had any of these "issues" happen to me
April 28, 2014 06:47AM
AndyD, can you try Slic3r 1.1.1 and see whether it does the same for you? It's an old bug on Windows that I've never been able to reproduce myself.
April 28, 2014 09:58AM
So it's windows-specific. That's why it's never happened to me - I run on ubuntu.
April 28, 2014 10:10AM
In the end I couldn't solve the problem, so I wiped all of my saved confirmations and started from fresh. I have also upgraded to the newer version, so won't know if it was simply a Windows bug in V1.0.0.

In response to the various suggestions: I had already been saving my configuration in a named file; I also tried editing this file under notepad. Neither of these may much difference. It was weird - almost as if Slic3r was using some 'intelligence' to force me to have a raft. I tried looking through the code, but there didn't seem to be anything that set it automagically. Seems to have gone way now though, so it'll just have to be a mystery. I'll assume it was indeed a Windows-specific bug, as Sound suggests.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login