Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unable to properly slice this object

Posted by nope_bye 
Unable to properly slice this object
February 06, 2015 01:57AM
Hi everyone. I really love Slic3r, and I don't want to use any other slicer, but I can't seem to get this slice quite right.

I have downloaded this [www.thingiverse.com] by azazel85 on thingiverse.

I have scaled it 80% which makes the walls just the right size to give me problems.

My printer has a 0.4 mm nozzle, and slic3r calculates my extrusion widths as follows:

external perimeters: 0.4 mm
perimeters: 0.67 mm
infill: 0.67
solid infill: 0.67

I have messed around with the settings but I can't get the walls to fill solid. I have decreased the extrusion width, increased the extrusion widths, combinations of all kinds of extrusion widths, and have also played around with the infill overlap ratio. Nothing seems to work. This is what slic3r 1.2.6 previews: http://i.imgur.com/DBREyb9.png

What can I do to make it solid?

Also, I have noticed that if I increase the infill overlap, my infill will no longer be concentric, and will start looking like this: http://i.imgur.com/7mphM19.png

Is there anything I can do for both of these issues? Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2015 01:58AM by nope_bye.
Re: Unable to properly slice this object
February 06, 2015 06:25AM
Try a simple thing.
Load default settings and change only filament and nozle size and scale if you need to...and if you do not like it take it from there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2015 08:49AM by justcurious.
February 06, 2015 12:04PM
The combined extrusion widths must be an exact multiple of the wall thickness of the object if the wall is thinner than (extrusion width X ((2 X number of perimeters)+(infill extrusion width)).

You will need to find out the wall thickness of your scaled-down part and then the easiest is to make all extrusion widths an exact factor of that (choose a width that close to but greater than your nozzle size and round down). You may need to adjust up or down a tad until it is exact.

e.g. for a wall of 1.7mm, choose extrusion widths that are exactly a quarter 1.7/4=0.42mm (rounded down) or a third - 1.7/3=0.56mm (rounded down).

If the wall is thicker than the perimeters + 1 infill width, then Slic3r will quite correctly lay down the perimeters and then fill with a normal infill pattern to give the effect you show in your link (and produce a perfectly good print) - the wall will only print as solid concentric extrusions if the gap between the perimeters is exactly 1 extrusion width.

Dave
February 09, 2015 02:35PM
Thanks for the responses.

I ended up using another program, but I still want to figure this out and make Slic3r my default slicer program. I measured the width of the walls and modified the extrusion widths as you said. It helped fill in the wall but it still has gaps, likely because the irregular kinks and bends of the wall. It's also likely that the wall changes thickness throughout the perimeter.

I'm still having a few issues with it, but I think it could at least print now. Overall it's a great program, but I just can't seem to get it right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login