Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Expanding infill where needed

Posted by sungod3k 
Expanding infill where needed
May 11, 2015 10:25AM
Hi,

Im in Slicer 1.1.7 and im trying to avoid layer gaps when printing very flat but increasing surfaces like the top of a sphere. At a certain point I always loose contact with the layer below and I dont want to slice the model with 5 or more perimeters or 100% infill.

I tried "only infill where needed" on 100% which gives a nice solid column in the middle but its slightly to thin, so I get my layergaps before the column touches the perimeters.
Im aware of the custom slicing sections in 1.2.6 but Id like a simpler solution. Something like increasing the number of perimeters on inverse overhangs or expanding there "where needed" criterion for the specific infill.

Any other ideas or solution for that?
Re: Expanding infill where needed
May 11, 2015 10:36AM
Have you tried increasing the number of solid top layers to say 10? My thinking is that Slic3r would then add additional inner perimeters if the overhang above is within 10 layers of the present layer, thus giving additional support. I'm guessing, I've not tried it.

Dave
May 11, 2015 10:49AM
Good idea, I just tried that but, it doesnt work. Nothing changes in the gcode compared to the previous settings. Im not sure why hes ignoring that.
May 11, 2015 01:24PM
OK, that didn't work. I expect Slic3r counts from bottom up rather than top down. In which case maybe try "only infill when needed" again, but this time change the overhang threshold value, which Slic3r hopefully uses to decide what is "necessary" and so will create a wider column. (Still only a guess I'm afraid).

Dave
May 11, 2015 03:57PM
Yes I tried that as well but the support angle has no influence on the infill where needed.
May 11, 2015 06:18PM
edit.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 06:55PM by Marck80.
May 16, 2015 04:40PM
An alternative to only increase the number of perimeters is to combine decreasing layer height and increasing extrusion width (e.g. to 0.6 mm for a 0.4 mm nozzle)
Somehow you can get what you want with the lowest possible impact on time spent and material used.
May 16, 2015 04:55PM
Im already at 0.6 for all my prints but the spacing becomes to far apart on the slopes.
Im waiting for slicer 1.2.6 to become stable^^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2015 04:56PM by sungod3k.
May 16, 2015 11:03PM
Im just playing around with solid infill threshold area. If you have a tip as the last part of you model, you make increase the solid infill area so far that it fill it out. Works for my specific model at least.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login